Packaging for posting a hard drive question - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Packaging for posting a hard drive question

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    Not only is he a computer expert, he probably thinks he can spell as well. And in all caps.
    Yeah. I was going to bring that up. Spellcheck is a great thing.

Thats not how to pack a hard drive for transport. I would pack and seal it in a anti static bag with lots of bubble rap around it, then place it in a box and make sure it can't move around inside the box during transit.

if you look at how the manufacturer's ship their hdd, it is always wrapped in anti-static wrap with a desicant and somehow suspended in the middle of the container (usually some type of formed plastic)
    Thats similar to how hard drives are sent to work when I worked in the IT industry. The drives came in brand new sealed in their anti static bag and placed in a foam cradle so the drive couldn't move and the cradle (usually around 20 joined together was placed in its own box and it just fitted inside the box.

He said he sent out many items before, wonder how many of them are hard drives?
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Yeah the guy is a 100% certified clueless d!ck. Actually it's scary just how moronic some people can be and yet still consider themselves as computer experts. The packaging that he used is without doubt inadequate. Just take a look at any of the drive manufactures to see their packaging requirements for RMA and you'll realize just how pathetically inadequate it is. I'm sure that drive manufactures like Western Digital and Seagate know a little more about hard-drives than the guy who sent you the drive.

Below is a link to WD's RMA guidelines including packaging requirements (quoted). Note that they require a strong corrugated cardboard box, plus an anti-static bag (a real one and not just a "chux super-wipe" dish cloth LOL) plus a minimum of 2" foam packing in every direction, and all packed so the drive is totally secure and can't move about in any direction. And please note that these are the requirements for returning drives that are already certified as "dead" by their lifeguard diagnostic software!!!!

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/rmapacking.asp

The following are helpful guidelines for packaging Western Digital disk drives for shipment. By adhering to these guidelines you will provide the best possible protection for the drive so it is not further damaged in transit.

Place the drive in the original ESD (electro-static discharge) protective bag prior to shipment. If the ESD bag is not available, please use an equivalent anti-static bag. Use an outer carton that is made of corrugated paper. Do not use chipboard as it is not strong enough to withstand the rigors of transit. Please make sure the corrugated carton is free from defects and is structurally sound.

The disk drive is a sensitive precision instrument. To protect the drive from shock, you will need to use a cushioning material. Foam may also be used as long as the drive cannot move when box is jolted and foam is covering all sides of the drive. To ensure the drive does not move inside the corrugated carton, make sure that you have secured the drive snugly with the same amount of cushioning on all sides due to the fact the carton could be dropped on any side during shipping.

When shipping more than one drive in a single carton, ensure that the drives do not touch and they are both cushioned individually. If utilizing foam, a minimum of 2" in all directions should be used. DO NOT USE peanuts or flowables as they will not support the drive in all directions during shipping. Seal the corrugated carton firmly using adhesive backed tape. Make sure all carton edges are sealed also to prevent any tearing. Please utilize Western Digital original packaging when available.
    Last edited by uart; March 13th, 2007 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by renleon
    Ill wrap it up in a couple of anti-static cloths, a piece of A4 paper and send it back.
    If you are sending it back you better package it properly this time. cuz he might say that the drive is damaged cuz YOU packaged it incorrectly.
    Main Rig: Intel Pentium D820, Intel DG965RY, Kingston 1.5GB DDR2 @667, Sapphire X850XT 558/600, Samsung 80GB SATAII, ASUS 18X DVD-RW LightScribe SATA, 19" ViewSonic LCD, Wi-Fi

Its a good point, im not sure how to package it.

Should I spend money on proper packaging or is it a waste of money considering the drive is broken.

And if he thinks cloths and paper are fine, should I just use that?

Should I spend money on proper packaging or is it a waste of money considering the drive is broken.

Well the very first thing you should do is download the diagnostic utility from the manufacturers website and confirm that the drive really is faulty. Mount it in a computer (not an external encloure), make sure you have all the jumper settings and cables correct and then run the maxtor dignostic utility. Post the results here.

If you are sure the drive is not working there is no point of spending more money to package it. But you should atleast use antistatic bags/cloths, some bubble wrap and if possibe a harddisk container. These things wont be hard to find.
    Main Rig: Intel Pentium D820, Intel DG965RY, Kingston 1.5GB DDR2 @667, Sapphire X850XT 558/600, Samsung 80GB SATAII, ASUS 18X DVD-RW LightScribe SATA, 19" ViewSonic LCD, Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    Not only is he a computer expert, he probably thinks he can spell as well. And in all caps.
    LOL, exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't anyone know how to use the caps lock key or what a spell check is used for? Most likely it's some dumbass kid who found a bunch of bum computer hardware and is trying to sell it to make a buck.

Package the drive correctly. It's not that hard, and you don't want to give him a peg to hang his hat on as to why he is refusing to make it good.

That drive was doomed the minute he sent it off.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Well I sent it back wrapped in a load of bubble wrap.

I tested it with the maxtor testing tool and it basically said its broken, contact maxtor.

I also ran it through a few other testing tools like HDD Regenerator. They reported testing times of over 1000 hours. After giving each a couple of hours the progress bar didnt get past 2%.

I think the drive is one big bad sector !

Thread Information