Packaging for posting a hard drive question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packaging for posting a hard drive question

Hybrid View

Packaging for posting a hard drive question

Hi, I bought a hard drive off ebay and I would like others opinions on the packing that was used, as I think the packaging was not adequate and the drive is broken as a result.

The drive was wrapped (without an anti-static bag) in two thin cloths and packaging paper. The minute I saw how the drive had been wrapped I suspected it could be damaged.

The seller seems to thing this packaging was fine. I would appreciate other people comments to help prove to them that it was not.

Thanks.

I think harddrives are the most fragile component in a computer system therefore need very good handling. The packaging you have described is totally not enough when transporting a harddisk without special attention of anyone. Anti-static bag is a must when packaging any electronic component. At least he should have used some bubble wrap or something like that. Its no wonder your drive is broken.
    Post some pics if possible.
    Main Rig: Intel Pentium D820, Intel DG965RY, Kingston 1.5GB DDR2 @667, Sapphire X850XT 558/600, Samsung 80GB SATAII, ASUS 18X DVD-RW LightScribe SATA, 19" ViewSonic LCD, Wi-Fi

Thanks for the reply.

The drive itself doesnt have any visual dents or damage that I can see. But I know I know it doesnt need to for the drives contents to be damaged.

I threw away the packaging, im going to try and dig it out so I have a visual record of what was used.

If the drive wasn't wrapped in bubble wrap then likely it will be damaged.

Hard Drives have to be wrapped in bubble wrap, a lot of bubble wrap to stop damage from being bounced around.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

hdd need to be isolated from shock when shipping since there are a few close toleranced moving parts in the hdd. anything that would suspend the hdd inside the container would work. was the hdd shipped in a roomy box and was it cushioned from jarring/shock when the box is handled?

when packaging hdd, i would first wrap it in anti-static wrap and then either bubble wrap or in an original hdd shipping container (i always keep a few around, they don't take up too much space). if you look at how the manufacturer's ship their hdd, it is always wrapped in anti-static wrap with a desicant and somehow suspended in the middle of the container (usually some type of formed plastic)

Ive just dug the packaging out of the bin, ewww !

The drive was wrapped in two clothes. Something you would normally keep under your sink to clean surfaces. And an A4 peice of paper to seel it up and write the address on.

We are talking a couple of milimeters of protection. No anti-static bag, no box, no bubble wrap, no foam.

When wrapped the package was the same size as the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by renleon
    The drive was wrapped in two clothes. Something you would normally keep under your sink to clean surfaces. And an A4 peice of paper to seel it up and write the address on.

We are talking a couple of milimeters of protection. No anti-static bag, no box, no bubble wrap, no foam.

When wrapped the package was the same size as the hard drive.
    that doesn't sound good with the way that packages get toss around during shipment.

i packed ram for shipping better than that.

Just tryed the drive in an external caddy connected via USB. Doesnt even display the drive when powered on.

theres gotta be some sort of give when packaging a harddrive. a drive hitting a hard surface and sustaining a 300g shock is a huge difference from the drive hitting a hard surface but having that 1" of give to take out the initial hit. harddrives can sustain some pretty massive g forces, but they dont like to be cracked hard against anything.

Thank you all for confirming what I thought. If I have problems convincing the seller that the hard drive broke due to their poor packing I will give them a link to this thread so they can read the opionions from people who know what they are talking about.

This is the last email I got from him. I cant believe he thinks two cloths would be enough to protect the drive.

HI THERE
    PLEASES DONT TRY AND SAY THAT THE WAY I PACKED THIS ITEM WAS NOT CORRECT .
    I HAVE SENT OUT MANY ITEMS AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAITES.
    I HAVE WORKED AT PC WORLD FOR 10 YEARS AND I KNOW WOT I AM TALKING ABOUT
    THE DRIVE WAS RAPPED IN 2 ANTISTATIC CLOTHS' EACH CLOTH WRAPPED AROUND THE
    DRIVE TWICE ( MAYBE 2AND A HALF TIMES EACH ) THEN IT HAD CARD WRAPPED AROUND
    IT.
    THESES CLOTHS WERE ANTI STATIC (PLEASES HAVE THEM CHECKED IF YOU WISH TO DO
    SO)
    THE DRIVE WAS WORKING PERFECTLY WHEN I SENT IT TO YOU I CAN ONLY PERSUME YOU
    MAY OF CORRUPTED THE DRIVE WITH INCORRECT SOFTWERE . I HAVE MANY
    QUALIFCATIONS IN COMPUTERS AND LIKE YOURSELF HAVE BUILT MANY MORE THAN 20 .
    THERE WAS NO INSURANCE ON POSTAGE FOR YOUR ITEM AS YOU DID NOT ASK FOR IT .
    SO I AM SORRY BUT I DONT SEE WHY I SHOULD REFUND YOU WHEN I KNOW THERE WAS
    NOTHINK WRONG WITH IT. PLEASES NOTE THE 2 ANTISTATIC CLOTH WOULD GIVE JUST
    AS MUCH PROTECTION AS A JIFFI BAY IF NOT MORE.
    REGUARDS
    Corrupted the drive with incorrect software, what !

And there was no card.

Ohh and here are couple of pics of the outside paper wrapping and one of the cloths next to the drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (20.3 KB, 79 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (17.9 KB, 86 views)

It's too bad that this person is so impressed by his "qualifications". I'm suprised that he thinks wrapping an hdd in 2 cloth wraps (even if they DID go 2 1/2 times around!) is sufficient.

Unfortunately, I don't think that he'll ever refund your money. He's sounds so convinced that he's right that you'll probably just need to report it to eBay and let them try to get your money back for you. I doubt that they'll do any good either, but maybe they'll flag his account or something.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

Hes said I can return the drive but it must be in the same condition as when it was sent or he will send it back. And if he tests it and its working he will also send it back.

Obviously its not in the same condition as when it was sent it, because now it doesnt work.

Ill wrap it up in a couple of anti-static cloths, a piece of A4 paper and send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by renleon
    Ill wrap it up in a couple of anti-static cloths, a piece of A4 paper and send it back.
    If you are sending it back you better package it properly this time. cuz he might say that the drive is damaged cuz YOU packaged it incorrectly.
    Main Rig: Intel Pentium D820, Intel DG965RY, Kingston 1.5GB DDR2 @667, Sapphire X850XT 558/600, Samsung 80GB SATAII, ASUS 18X DVD-RW LightScribe SATA, 19" ViewSonic LCD, Wi-Fi

Thread Information