Manhunt 2 banned in UK
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Manhunt 2 banned in UK

Manhunt 2 banned in UK

I never played the first one, so don't know what it was like, but I know it courted controversy. Now the second one is due for release but the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) have banned it completely, this is pretty unusual in the UK.

I know most of the recent GTA games were banned in Australia, but I can't ever remember a game being banned in this country. Maybe Rockstar have pushed things a bit too far this time. It'll be interesting to see if it's allowed in the rest of Europe, and the U.S.

According to the BBFC, their reason was that "Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

Admittedly it does sound a bit nasty, but most normal adults are quite capable of distinguishing a video game from reality. If you can't, then surely you need more than your computer & games confiscating.

Full article HERE.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

And if you think it would stay in the hands of adults, let me have some of what you're smoking.

Some things deserve banning. The type of religious schools in northern Pakistan whose "education" consists of rocking back and forth while memorizing the Koran would also be on my list.

what they need to do is be smart and seperate the adult games from the teen-rated ones and down. have retailers aquire special licenses to sell adult video games, so best buy and the like normally wouldnt but at least you could get them legally online or from a local adult shop. it just makes sense to me because the 'deadliness' of the game itself is not really the question but the age of the people playing them is.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    And if you think it would stay in the hands of adults, let me have some of what you're smoking.

I'm not disagreeing, but shouldn't we then also ban violent films, or alchohol, or anything else intended for adults, just in case they end up in the hands of minors (which they invariably do) ?
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game.
    Sound like violent films, alcohol, or even most violent video games?

Maybe they could make a similar claim for Wahabist Islam. It clearly leads to suicide and terror bombing.
    Last edited by DanceMan; June 20th, 2007 at 02:35 PM.

it sounds like some Tarantino films

M.C.S.A.

sounds like, in general, the human body is incapable of distinguishing reality from fanstasy. danceman- have you ever seen planet of the apes?

Only in pieces, never held my interest long.

whHHAA?! dude... i mean.... man.... what the heck, its planet of the apes! only one of the most informative and influential movies ever.... . i thought i was slightly joking when i asked the question. its an excellent movie, i cannot believe you gave it a real chance- if you dont like that movie you dont like any good movies.

Watching The Producers (the original) again right now.
    Springtime For Hitler, a gay romp with Adolf and Eva in Berchesgarten...............
    Adolf vas a painter, you know, a whole apartment in vun afternoon, two coats...............

Thread Information