Samsung SpinPoint SATA-II Drive On SATA-I
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Samsung SpinPoint SATA-II Drive On SATA-I

Samsung SpinPoint SATA-II Drive On SATA-I

Hi, I plan on buying this drive as my one almost died on me today: https://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=330161

Does anyone know if this drive can be used on a SATA-I motherboard? I dont want to spend 40 on a drive and then have it not work

I'm trying to download the manual but it keep crashing firefox lol, If anyone uses it could you please tell me if it works on like jumper settings or need special software? Thanx

Should work.
    As a precaution, you can set jumper to SATA.

You can refer to the Samsung website for position.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Hi, I just installed my new hard drive with the Jumper settings on but windows vista does not show it in My computer. Can someone help me ASAP please, the drive shows up in the boot up screen (The black and white one before windows boots) as something like Samsung HD160J or something, but its not in my computer for some reason My main Windows HD is an SATA-I and it is showing fine
    Last edited by PrinceOfPersia; March 8th, 2007 at 01:36 PM.

Ok this is what I done, I'll explain this as simply as I can...

I installed a new SATA-II 160GB drive in my PC, motherboard does not support SATA-II so I used the jumper settings to do it to SATA-I mode. Installed latest Via Hyperion Pro drivers, Drive shows up in EVERYTHING except My Computer. What am I doing wrong?

I am not familiar with Vista yet. Does it have the equivalent of Disk Management, like XP has under Administrative Tools in Control Panel? If it does, can you see the drive there, and has it been partitioned? Sorry to be behind the times on this subject. If it shows, right click it and see if you can partition it there.

Yeah I was just looking at the info the drive came with, and says use fdisk for partitioning, I will see if I can do it in Vista... Ok so I'm daft as a daisy, its now formatting the drive, although it says 150GB, so I'm loosing 10GB

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfPersia
    it says 150GB, so I'm loosing 10GB
    That is a function of how the computer measures capacity as opposed to how the manufacturers measure it. This article touches on that issue, if you are interested.

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60505,00.html

Thread Information