DVD Burner Advice
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: DVD Burner Advice

DVD Burner Advice

My burner is starting to create coasters, it's a few years old, and I need to replace it. If anyone has bought a good one recently let me know what brand/model.

The LG brand typically has good reviews and feedbacks.
    eg. LG GSA-H22N series
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin2000
    My burner is starting to create coasters, it's a few years old, and I need to replace it. If anyone has bought a good one recently let me know what brand/model.
    What brand/model burner is your old one Kevin?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma
    The LG brand typically has good reviews and feedbacks.
    eg. LG GSA-H22N series
    I'll 2nd that. I was using Pioneers for a long time at work, but the latest batch of Pioneers have been dying far too often so I've switched over to LG based on recommendations placed in multiple reviews. So far so good and at least the OEM versions come with Nero, unlike the Pioneers which come with nothin'.

I have a Pioneer and a Nec. The Nec is older, but with fewer burns. The Pioneer DVR-109 is 2 yrs old with a lot of burns on it. It seems like most burners all have the same technology. I am looking at LG and Asus.

I've had two premature failures of Pioneer
    so
    Cautious about recommending Pioneers brand...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin2000
    I have a Pioneer and a Nec. The Nec is older, but with fewer burns. The Pioneer DVR-109 is 2 yrs old with a lot of burns on it. It seems like most burners all have the same technology. I am looking at LG and Asus.
    Well Asus burners are generally just re-badged Pioneers in any case. Watch out with brands, there's only really a few original manufacturers and lots of "rebadging" going on. Another notable case is Sony, which are generally just rebadged Liteon's.

Personally I've had a few early failures with liteon (though it was with early models and not recently). I've haven't had any reliability problems with either Pioneer or LG, but overall I've had the most satisfaction with LG. Specifically I like LG drives because they tend to give good results with DVD-R and DVD+R and CD-R. A lot of DVD burners these days seem to focus on DVD and give very mediocre burn quality on CD-R, LG seems better than most in this regard.
    Last edited by uart; February 18th, 2007 at 08:22 AM.

Recently picked up a Samsung (SH-S182M) Lightscribe for $35 and it's been great. Burned error-free every type of media I've thrown at it (from no name cdrs to 3 different DL manufacturers). Plus the lightscribe feature has made much easier for me to read my mp3 cdrs (with 5-7 albums on each) much easier to read while driving down the road, especially since my handwriting on cdrs with a sharpie looks like I was having a siezure when I wrote on them.

Thanks guys. I think I will pick up an lg and a samsung. These burners are really cheap, like $35 delivered. I didn't think you could get a lightscribe for $35 and I have been wanting to try out lightscribe feature.

Benq CD/DVD drive division got taken over by LITE-ON a while back,
    Not readily available any more.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I already installed the Samsung SH-S182M and it works great. It's quiet and so far has burned all generic media, even a few dl dvd's without any problems.

Still sticking with Plextor here.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Thread Information