Web-based WAP remote for PC media?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Web-based WAP remote for PC media?

Web-based WAP remote for PC media?

is there any program out there, that works, to allow me to change the tracks, stop or play within winamp? preferrably it could control any media player, but winamp at least. i have a shoutcast running to my cellphone, and it would be nice to select tracks. it would likely have to be a wap browser page of some sort.

ive tried browseamp2, and it works locally yet i cannot get it to work over the net on the phone. its not a wap page, even though it seems like it should work.

wapsonic is dead, for some reason their homepage is gone.

also, wapamp did not work at all...

Why stray from the awesome Media Center? It has this functionality already.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

you mean jr's? i didnt know you could stream over the net with it.... i cant have a upnp server with this phone, it needs a streaming mp3 link, like shoutcast. are you also saying i can control it remotely, away from the local network?

I just looked through the J. River forums. Apparently there was a way to stream to mobile devices in v10 but not in v11. You can stream across the internet to another machine running Media Center in client mode, but obviously the client has to be running Windows.

And yes you can control Media Center through the web, that feature has been in since v8.

well ill be damned. thatll work i guess, because i use the linein on winamp to re-broadcast out from there (milkdrop vis, nothing else comes close). i would like to just use winamp though, so i can leave it running in the background. that way i would still have media center for home use...

hey, it works. nice, this is really cool. a lot of messin around because its not a windows mobile phone, if it was it would be a lot easier to use orb. this works though, really cool that it does. thanks for the help man, it seems that all of the winamp plugins for remote network control are out-of-date and dead.

it also helps out a lot now i know how to open ports on my smoothwall. i have spent weeks trying to figure out why the ports wouldnt open, i only noticed last night that 192.168.0.2 is not the same as 192.168.0.200 ... go figure.

Found another solution: TVersity

I was getting fed up with not being able to view DivX and XviD movies on my 360 through the media center extender so I found a few alternatives. TVersity is the only one that doesn't require MCE first and it streams to other devices besides the 360, like cell phones and PSPs. You can also stream streaming radio and video with it. I'll be setting it up today.

have you used orb.com? to me there is nothing easier, and it works very well surprisingly. the web-interface seems a little slow at first but it really does work good. nothing to install on the client end, anyone with a web browser can watch your media. also, it supports livetv streaming just like anything else it streams. when used with my cell phone, i can actually get all my livetv cable channels anywhere i have phone service. the only downside is that it does eat up about 50% cpu (opt165@2.7ghz), but i still can play games while its streaming so its all good. and it does support upnp too...

tversity is also very good, but its not quite as easy to use as orb. jriver has a lot of work to do on the upnp and thier live-tv. if they can incorporate the tvtuner into their software much like windows does with mce2005 i would use mc12 much much more.
    Last edited by krupted; February 4th, 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Thread Information