[RESOLVED] Philips SPD8005BM/17 slim dvdrw
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Philips SPD8005BM/17 slim dvdrw

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Philips SPD8005BM/17 slim dvdrw

Gateway SOLO 1400
    Philips SPD8005bm/17 slim DVDRW

I am trying to find firmware to change my dvd burners IDE setting. Philips said they do not support the drive and referred me to another company that is pretty useless. I know the drive works fine as Windows sees the burner but it has the same IDE location as the hard drive. Also, the BIOS does not see the burner which draws me to conclude the hard drive and the burner are trying to talk on the same IDE channel. Am I correct, can anyone help? Is there a universal piece of firmware that will let me change either my hard drive or burners IDE location?

Thanks

I also forgot to mention that the drive works all together but when playing dvd's the video and sound skip. I also have no problem playing music and reading data discs. I can also boot from the burner.

Quote Originally Posted by gvmntcheese
    ... firmware to change my dvd burners IDE setting...
    ?

If you are referring to DMA settings,
    That would be within IDE settings within the OS in use.

As for firmware, if it was included by default by Gateway,
    It would be Gateway providing any firmware.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

My BIOS does not see the burner because it is set to Slave. The SOLO 1400 does not support a slave drive. It only has primary and secondary master channels in the BIOS. I need firmware to change my burner from Slave to Master on the secondary IDE channel. As you know, notebook rom drives do not have jumpers and must be changed via firmware. The burner shows up in device manager but it will not work properly ie; playing dvd's etc... I have seen firmware for ROM drives that will make this change but it is vendor specific. I wanted to know if there is a universal program that will allow me to do that since philips does not support this burner anymore? Thanks

No. Have not heard of a universal firmware.
    Anyone?
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

As far as i know there is no univerrsal firmware. Firmware is for each model of CD/DVD drive, Router etc
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

I had to go through a haaale but finally got mine to work. using this tool eeprom utility 3.7.2 got from this site http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html
    There is alos a firmware backupn tool that you will need before you do any changes its wise to backup your firmware.
    i recomend trying this 1st i don't recall if it worked before i did the other task. If it works awesome there is an option to change set drive to master or slave. If it doesn't work then it gets harder I opend up my drive spd8005bm17 and noticed on the chip it said SSM-8515S; this is a lite on drive. I googled for hacked firmware and found one here ftp://ftp.ca.pl/pub/caM158N_M158i/M158i_firmware
    This alowed me to update my phillips and changed i to a lite on sm-8515s which in turn allowed me to upodate to the newest lite on firmware. that firmware i got directly from lite on website. Once this was done i used eeprom tool to set drive to master and rebooted, before the drive would not show up in bios i had to place old drive then swapp now new drive shoed up in bios. I had an issue when i loaded windows drive would not work so i loaded old phillips firmware which i had saved and re flashed drive. One last site using eeprom i set drive to master and rebboted issue was resolved. Now eeprom works, again i don't think it did before flashes but i could be wrong. This resolved my issue hope it helps.

Before starting, I have to thank Carlos for helpping me on this. Without him, I would have wasted one Philip slim DVD-RW.

I have successfully change the Master/Slave setting of the Philip SPD8005BM/17 DVD-RW using Carlos method.

Anyway, to change the Master/Slave option is not hard but needs some extra work. As Carlos stated in his article, the following steps should work:
    1. Back up your Philip SPD8005BM/17 drive firmware using Flash Utility for LiteOn Based Optical Drives v 2.1.0 (http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html).
    2. Flash your Philip SPD8005BM/17 drive with Lite-On SSM-8515S GS08 firmware (ftp://ftp.ca.pl/pub/caM158N_M158i/M158i_firmware) by executing GS08fix.exe. Your Philip SPD8005BM/17 will become a Lite-On SSM-8515S drive. You do not need to reboot at this point.
    3. Update your Philip SPD8005BM/17 (but the system would think it's a Lite-On) with Lite-On SSM-8515S GS09 firmware (http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIR...ware-S09.shtml) which can be obtained via Lite-On official website. The reason why we upgraded using the GS08fix first and then GS09 is because GS08fix does not check whether the target drive is Lite-On or not. If you use GS09 directly, it will refuse to upgrade by stating it is not a Lite-On product.
    4. Now, reboot and use EEPROM Utility for LiteOn/Sony/BenQ Drives 3.7.2 (http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html) to back up your current EEPROM setting just for safety. Please note that your drive will not be working right now, but your goal is just to change the Master/Slave setting.
    5. You can go ahead and use the EEPROM Utility to change the drive's Master/Slave setting. Please be sure about the right Master/Slave setting, because if you changed it to a wrong setting and caused your BIOS not able to recognize the drive, you will need to find a laptop that can accept your current Master/Slave setting and perform the setting change again.
    6. You can flash your Philip SPD8005BM/17 back using the original firmware (the one you backed up in the first step) using Flash Utility for LiteOn Based Optical Drives v 2.1.0 (note: not the EEPROM flash, but firmware flash).
    7. Reboot and the Master/Slave setting of your Philip drive is now set. Your drive should be working as a Philip SPD8005BM/17 again.

Please note that the Slim Master/Slave function of EEPROM Utility does not work under Windows Vista. You need to do this on a Windows XP system.

I acutally created two jumper setting EEPROM copies of Philip SPD8005BM/17 (contains Master.bin and Slave.bin, just pick one and flash it). You can get it here (please read the instructions and use at your risk).

However, merely changing the Master/Slave setting does not make the drive functional on my Toshiba notebook. I have the whole story here: Replacing Toshiba Satellite R15 Slim SelectBay DVD.

Philips SPD8005BM/17 working now!!

Thank you mynikko and Carlos,
    This process works perfectly!!! Anyone who is having problems with their Philips SPD8005BM/17 upon installing it should follow mynikko's procedure exactly.

Again, thanks to mynikko and Carlos, your efforts saved me the frustration I'm sure you experienced. Carlos figured it out, but myniko fine-tuned the process, figured out exactly what steps are needed and why, and explained the process very clearly. I found this thread within minutes of searching. 10 minutes later, my Philips DVD burner is now a Master and working fine. Thankfully, on my Dell, I had no further problems and didn't have to short the pins as myniko had to do to make his Toshiba notebook happy. Thanks again!

Almost there

I would also like to say thank you to mynikko and Carlos for their hard work in trying to solve this problem. I bought the same Philips drive and had been having trouble getting it set to master rather than slave.

All of the steps mynikko posted seem to be working great, and I am just about there. However, in my haste to fix the drive, I forgot to backup the original Philips firmware in step 1. So now I have a master "Slimtime SSM-8515S" version GS09 that Windows recognizes but will not read discs from.

Could someone please post the original Philips SPD8005BM firmware so I can get my drive working again? I feel like once I flash the firmware back to the original Philips, everything will work great. At least I hope so...

Thanks very much in advance.

I would also am in need a copy of the original firmware mine seems to be corrupted for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bullblack
    I would also like to say thank you to mynikko and Carlos for their hard work in trying to solve this problem. I bought the same Philips drive and had been having trouble getting it set to master rather than slave.

All of the steps mynikko posted seem to be working great, and I am just about there. However, in my haste to fix the drive, I forgot to backup the original Philips firmware in step 1. So now I have a master "Slimtime SSM-8515S" version GS09 that Windows recognizes but will not read discs from.

Could someone please post the original Philips SPD8005BM firmware so I can get my drive working again? I feel like once I flash the firmware back to the original Philips, everything will work great. At least I hope so...

Thanks very much in advance.

I was able to obtain a copy of the firmware but i have no way of hosting it.

original philips SPD8005BM/17 firmware, if someone has the file would they be able to e-mail it? I used the eeprom to backup, which doesn't backup the entire firmware using the liteon firmware has left my drive unusable, it shows up but the light stays on permanently and won't read any disks. Any help would be great!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by coldshock
    original philips SPD8005BM/17 firmware, if someone has the file would they be able to e-mail it? I used the eeprom to backup, which doesn't backup the entire firmware using the liteon firmware has left my drive unusable, it shows up but the light stays on permanently and won't read any disks. Any help would be great!
    Send me an email @ logicfry@gmail.com
    I'll try to get back to you asap

p.s. if any one else wants a copy you can do the same
    also just for disclosure I received this file from Cheng Nikko

E-mail sent, thank you player_x, I apprecaite it!

Thread Information