Hard Drive Choice
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard Drive Choice

Hard Drive Choice

I have a Dell Dimension E310 with a hard drive thats giving me problems. I figured it would just be easier to swap in a new hard drive, but the only problem is that I am not sure if it matters which of the 2 SATA types i choose from (3 GB/s or Serial ATA 150). If I am reading the Dell site properly, I should be able to support any SATA device, but am lookin for reassurance before I go thru with any purchases. All help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlurker29
    ... Dell Dimension E310 ...
    That particular model utilizes SATA-150.
    You should be able to use any SATA drives
    but
    If using SATAII drive(s) and option is available,
    May need to jumper the drive to SATA-150 limitation.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlurker29
    so pretty much what your telling me is that to be safe (and pretty much guaranteed it to work), it would be better for me to get an SATA 150
    SATA 150: Yes. Technically, should work "as-is".

SATA II: Technically, should work but may need jumper setting changes to the HDD. No real big deal and they are more plentiful as well. If you need some ideas, state size of HDD that you are interested in. Members here should be able to assist in selection.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I'm not looking for something massive, more then likely I am aiming for an 80 GB, but no larger than like a 150, just as long as it is compatible with my computer and doesn't burn a hole in my pocket.

Vendors such as newegg is a quick and easy way to filter out costs/selections.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

yeah, newegg is exactly where i've been looking at hard drives, which is why i wanted to know if i should get the 150 or not.

dont worry about sata/sataII, just get the size and speed you want for the price you can spend.

Thread Information