Put in a Monster ll 3D and still have the same fps
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Put in a Monster ll 3D and still have the same fps

Put in a Monster ll 3D and still have the same fps

I put in a Monster ll 3D (pci) in my aptiva 350 Mhz AMD K6-2 3D NOW!,128 meg,Ali M1542/M1543 motherboard with an ATI ragepro agp 2X chip mounted on the motherboard. I have the latest drivers form Diamond and direct X 6.1. When I ran GLQuake timedemo demo1 I got 26fps a 2 fps improvement on the ragepro by its self ? I read on the Diamond support page that the Ali aladin chipset had problems with the old drivers. It said to get the new drivers with 3D now support. I did that and there was no change in fps just an improvement in 3D. Is it possible that my PC is not using the Monster to it's full potential or not at all. Is there a patch or something that would help. I'm a newbie to PC's and quake, so I'm kind of lost here.

Any help would be appreciated,
    omegaman

Two possible problems that I can think of. The Monster II works best with Glide, 3dfx's gl and not so good with OpenGL (GLQuake). Also GLQuake is not optimized for 3D Now. If you've got Quake II you'll probably get much better results (AFTER you download the latest 3D Now drivers from AMD).

Thanks guys, but after many hours of searching and posting on forums, I got the answers I needed. I got the 3Dfx minigl driver for the Monster and the glqk1036 opengl driver for the ragepro.
    Unbelievable performance. 56fps in glquake timedemo demo1. And the 3D came to life...
    can't wait to get Quake 2 and utilize the 3Dnow instructions.
    I have been playing quakeworld for the last two hours and instead of ending up at bottom of the ranks, I'm getting pretty close to the middle of the pack. Ineed more practice and have to find out how to use the grappling hook and stuff like that.

omegaman

Thread Information