Laptop advice please
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Laptop advice please

Laptop advice please

Hello!

I just registered on the forum and I really need help. I bought a Hewlett Packard Pavilion laptop with AMD Athlon in 2004. I chose it because I thought HP has worldwide service so I will be safe. I was very wrong, they don`t care for their customers. When the 1 year guarantee expired I had problem with the power plug inside in my laptop. They checked and told me to change motherboard. Of course I said no because it was too expensive. Last summer somebody fixed my laptop but the same problem started again and finally it gave up on Friday.

I am not good with computer but I need a new laptop. Only one thing I know... I won`t buy HP ever again.

I`d like to ask you all if you can help me to choose a better one. I don`t have too much money, I can spend around 1500 CAD (1300 US$). I use it to make my website, surf on the net, emailing, play on it. I know about extended guarantee and I`ll do that.

My friend bought an Acer laptop, here is the link to it:
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

What do you think about it? If not could you recommend something else? I would appreciate any help or advice! Thank you!
    My other friend told me to buy Asus but I couldn`t see any in Toronto (Canada).

My stock and standard advice for whatever laptop you end up with-pay attention to the warranty. Some business-class machines in your price range may come with a 3-year factory warranty. Others will charge you for the extended warranty. But as you have learned, fixing a laptop is a pricey proposition.

If you are offered an extended warranty by the retailer, be sure that the company is reputable/solvent/going to be here tomorrow.

Some credit cards offer some form of extended warranty if you buy the machine with their card-that is worth looking into.

As Jimbo said, it sounds like you want to pay the most attention to the warranty. Depending on who you talk to, every make and model has had problems... I've seen dead Dells, Acers, HPs, etc. but really can't point a finger and say "this is the best maker." The fact is that no one will support a product out of warrenty.
    We all Think Different too.

Hello!

Thank you for your answer! I need to pay more for the extended warranty (around 300 CAD) but I prefer to pay because fixing a laptop is expensive. I checked the motherboard change is included in the price.

Thank you again!

Thread Information