G or G+ for weak reception?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: G or G+ for weak reception?

G or G+ for weak reception?

I live in Thailand and it is almost impossible to get Internet in the room without a 6 month wait. So, I can get wireless from the hotel about 30-40 meters away, but have to walk down a hall 20 feet away and hold my laptop next to a window. Was wondering if I should buy a USB wireless adapter, a long cord and try that. If so, would it make any difference if I go with regular wireless G or get G plus (which is twice as expensive). Once I am on the network it works fine with the internal regular g card. Also note, when you buy anything here, it can not be returned. Thanks...

Generally speaking, the faster the wireless connection, the less range it has. 802.11b has considerably farther range than 802.11g. The newest standard (n, I think) has even less range. Probably has a lot to do with latency and the amount of information being transmitted more quickly.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

So, the bottom line, if I get a usb wirless adapter and run it down the hall on a wire, it will not make any difference wether I use a regular G or Gplus for getting the signal, but this should work?

Thanks for the input... Rainmon

How far are we talking here? I can't imagine that reducing the distance a little bit will help all that much. Also, what are you planning on using the wireless network for? If you are just using it to connect to the internet, than even 802.11b will be faster than your internet connection. The only time the super fast wireless connections really help is on networks where a lot of file sharing is going on.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Thread Information