Widescreen LCDs
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Widescreen LCDs

Widescreen LCDs

Are 19 widescreen lcds really 17 screens stretched horizontally to make the horizontal size 19? So the height is just the same but the width is wider?
    What about the 19 square screens? Are they just 19 in all directions?
    Do the widescreens look better than the square ones? I have seen lcds on laptops that look quite stretched and are a little funny looking when viewing anything.
    Thanks
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by jonny b
    Are 19 widescreen lcds really 17 screens stretched horizontally to make the horizontal size 19? So the height is just the same but the width is wider?
    well i guess you can say that. all screens, tv's monitors or whatever, are normally measured in a diagnal fasion, corner to corner. think of taking a 19" square screen and smushing the top and bottom a little to make the sides pop out, thats about how it goes as far a size is concerned- and yes it would be about the same tall-wise as a 17" square screen.

as for the image itself, if it looked stretched then the pc didnt have the right resolution set. in good practice, the video card drivers will actually add more space to the sides of a square image so the visuals dont appear smushed or stretched. but for that to happen, the software content itself has to be written for widescreen use. most software nowadays is, i rarely have to look at ovals on my widescreen

Well this 19" is only 10.25 inches tall and my 17" is 10 3/4" tall. Stupid thing. So for losing height, I got width. So that's dumb. I think I would rather have the square 19" instead of the Widescreen.
    Thanks
    JB

Thread Information