What are some good First Person Shooters?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What are some good First Person Shooters?

Talking What are some good First Person Shooters?

Hi all,

I want to know what some good first person shooters are for the PC right now.

I am not super current. I have:

Doom 3
    Far Cry
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    Quake 3
    Unreal Tournament
    Quake 2
    Quake
    Undying
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Urban Terror

And....that's about it.

I missed out on Unreal 2K4 and Quake 3 Arena. I can't find those in the stores anymore. I know that Quake 4 is out and that people seem to like "Fear." (I know I spelled it wrong.) I never played Half Life, and I know people love that one. I have Halo and Halo 2 for the XBOX. I am not sure if its any better for the PC.

Any others?

You really ought to play Half-Life and Half-Life 2 if you haven't already FEAR might be worth it if you like scarier FPS.

UT2004 is what UT2003 should have been IMO. Even if it feels more like an upgrade from 2003, the many fixes & tweaks, new maps and Onslaught mode are really worth it if you like the genre. Get the DVD version if you can find it.

Halo on PC is horrible IMO. It's a rather sloppy port and if I remember well, doesn't have any co-op mode like on the console. If you already have the XBox version you're not missing anything, minus slightly better graphics.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Yeah, HL2 is one of the best games I've played in a while, and FEAR so far seems interesting to me (though not as good at HL2 at this point).
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Nice expanison/update for FEAR, FEAR:Combat, is out, adds some nice mp maps. FEAR is a fun game, scary as hell when you shut off all the lights and play by yourself.

Prey is one of my all time favorite FPS and I've played through it twice now.

Some of the Medal of Honor games are pretty good as well as COD2 in single player.

If you enjoy RTS or haven't really tried one/liked them then I suggest giving Company of Heroes a try. Great RTS, I'm currently playing it now.

Half-life 2 and battlefield 2
    My Pc:
    MSI 915P COMBO/XFX 6600GT PCI-E/P4 3.0 Ghz HT (1 MB L2 CACHE)/80 GB WD SATA/2 GB DDR400 G.Skill /NEC DVD/CD RW

Quake 3 Arena was good, and Quake 4 is better. Prey is another game worth playing.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Thumbs up

Cool. I looked at some screens for Fear. Wooo! I like the effects when bullets shattering walls. I guess that will be my next purchase. Then I will get Quake 4. I guess it looked a little "over the top silly."

Are there any good FPS games on PSP? I have all I need on PC, but I really need some more (only have two) PSP games. I was wondering if there were a way to get something like Doom on the PSP... without destroying the PSP that is, aka homebrew, thats a no no, I dont mess with my firmware

ITs funny. I was all into my FPS games on my computer since upgrading to an LCD...now I am back into my Xbox because I traded my old one for a Halo SE.

Does anyone know any games like Ghost Recon on PS2, that I can play like 2-4 players co-op? I'd like to get Advanced Warfighter, but thats still rather expensive, I just want something cheap but still good graphics

From time to time my son plays SOCOM on his PS2 and it looks pretty good on the TV.

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

SOCOM eh? Is that a co-op game? Like if my friends came round we could hook-up a multi-tap to the PS2 and all play?

Thread Information