Inspiron 1100 will not boot up
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Inspiron 1100 will not boot up

Hybrid View

Inspiron 1100 will not boot up

My Inspiron 1100 will not boot up, when I try i hear the fan start but the screen wont come on. I found when this first started when I put pressure on the top of the screen it would boot up but now nothing will help it.
    any advice?

Does it look like the hard drive is running through the boot process, or is it just sitting there doing nothing? If the screen is suspect, try hooking the notebook up to an external monitor and see if it boots. If you get a picture, then your screen is going out. If nothing happens still, it's probably not the screen, but maybe the hard drive. Worst case is that the motherboard has failed, which pretty much means you need a new notebook.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

actually it sounds like it is starting to boot up the fan starts and such then it just shuts down..and makes the shut down sound

Can you get into the BIOS?

Can you confirm the AC plug is working properly? Sometimes the AC port on notebooks gets worn out or loose, and consequently breaks contact. If it's been this way for a while, you might even have a dead battery, making the notebook fail to get very far in the boot process.

Actually the power and the battery work,
    I was trying to get on and if i apply a bit of pressure on right beside the power button or above the keyboard it will boot up and I start to get in but If i remove the pressure the screen goes blank and the computer shuts off

Hmm, sounds like it might be a faulty power button! If that's the case, you might be able to find a replacement panel for it. Typically, the panel with the lights and buttons is pretty small, so it may be fairly cheap.

Thread Information