Check this out! --- A MUST READ --- the stupid PC system EVER!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check this out! --- A MUST READ --- the stupid PC system EVER!

Check this out! --- A MUST READ --- the stupid PC system EVER!

I saw last week an AD in a magazine with the most STUPID POORLY Packed PC system. when you buy a pc system with a P3 you expect a Poweful Pc right? well... wrong!

The system is:

Pentium I I I 450Mhz CPU
    32 MB RAM
    Cirrus Logic 2MB Video Card
    2.5 GB Hard Disc
    X24 CD ROM
    sound blaster 16 ( I diden't know that they still make that card. )
    33.6K Modem

Now why you get a P III system with these specs? you better off with a 266mhz CPU and 128mb ram and a tnt card! and yes a 10gb hard disc! now I don't remember the exec price but it was under 900$, but still this is very funny! who needs A State of the art PIII that is really a Blow out CPU, with a crappy 200$ system? and 32 mb RAM !!! this is really using pepole, because new pc users that are buying thier first PC might think that when they get a PIII, nothing eles metters...

Right?

Dave 1999

yes what a **** system
    but the sad thing is that somebody who is new to pcs will be duped into thinking its a good system purely because its got a "state of the art" p3 processor

i use the term "state of the art" extremely loosely considering this dodgy id code built into chip which can be accessed via net

Quite right. Sad thing is most consumers never research their computer purchases. About the only thing they know is they want an Intel or an AMD, ect, and maybe how much ram and HDD capacity. Nobody gives half a crap about anything else. What do you think is the KEY to selling sub $1000 PCs? Put a good processor on it and crap for the rest.
    This signature space FOR SALE

It's not sad! It's called learning...I cut me teeth on Packard Bell. After squeezing everything I could out of it (not much, granted) I moved on to make my own PC! I learned what to spend money on, and what not to, and now, have a system that I can change whenever my finances allow! hehe...
    Hopefully, others can/will learn too...
    Anyways, that's my humble opinion...

Then there's the other side of the coin, where a manufacturer puts pure crap into everything, and slaps on a "brand name" and sells it for an insane amount. I learned my lesson after buying an IBM "Ambra" computer. It was a 486 with 4 MB RAM, 250MB hard drive, 1MB Video Card, and that's about it. I paid $4000 for the stupid IBM name. Now, I always build my own systems. Don't trust those retailers!

Unfortunately, that's the best teacher, experience. I laugh (and shudder) when I think about my first PC experience: Packard Bell 486 DX2/50 4mb, 340mb, 1mb Cirrus. Fortunately, I had Best Buy's no lemon extended warranty. After three service returns I got a new Pentium 60 (unfortunately Crappard Hell, again). From these, I learned that the best system was a custom-made system. I then had built a PII 266, 128mb, MilleniumII, VoodooI 3.1gb. Eminently more satisfied with it. Now I think I've finally reached the pinnacle of PC ownership understanding: Build your own. I just recently built a Celeron464 and it's by far the fastest, cheapest, and most reliable computer I've ever laid hands on. So yes, hopefully even bad experiences eventually result in good knowledge for whatever sucker ends up with that system.

WOW! Seems PB is the best teacher for a lot of us, same here. Bought a P150 in a hurry, lots of cash, and upgrading was very hard.

Ended up o/c it to 200mhz, adding 64mb (80), adding two HDīs (one just lying around on the p/s cause there was no room. Adding 1 MB to cirrus-onboard-crap-speed-crap-quality-logic videocard wich cost me a fortune and didnīt help much.

BUT on the bright side, just like the rest of you, I learned a lot from this computer.

My current setup has a BIG tower, now thats realy handy for upgrading.

So thank you PB, for ripping us off and teach us the best lesson we could ever learn:

DONīT BUY PB!!!!!
    M@rsm@n

[This message has been edited by Marsman (edited 03-25-99).]

Wow! I thought I was the only one! I had a PB 25/DX2, 210, Video7 Win 3.1 Crap-ola. It really did teach me how to squeeze performance out of a computer. Anyone here remember boot disks for games? Can you imagine trying to use the internet with that thing (2400 baud)?
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say.
    A fool speaks because he has to say something.

Yep.. it's a joke.
    I went to a computer show a few weeks ago. All the vendors had big signs at their booths that said PIIIs for about $1000. Sure enough the system was junk.
    If they were smart, they wouldn't buy a PIII anyway. A Celeron overclocked to 450 for $70 is good enough.

Once burned, twice burned, thrice burned. Do yourself a favor and get interested in computers and build your own!!! I have the following:

Abit BH6 MB on which there is a 300a Celeron overclocked to 450MHz @ 2.1v with additional cooling with 128 meg RAM.....$481
    Seagate Medalist 6.4 gig HD (geez, who needs more than that?)...$150
    Memorex 32x CD-ROM (which sucks btw, don't buy this)...$40 after rebate
    Diamond Monster Sound MX300 (AWESOME!)...$90
    Diamond Monster Fusion (16 meg, Banshee board)...$70 after rebate
    Floppy drive (duh, man when are these dinosaurs going to die?)...$15
    17" Princeton Monitor.... $225)
    56K dual mode (v90 and k56flex) Best Data Modem....$75
    Inwin Large Tower Case (needed for cooling)
    ...$85

In all the whole computer came to: $1231 for a PII class machine running at 450MHz with some kick *** extras. Learn how to put a computer together (it really isn't all that hard, do research on the Net...if I can do it, anyone can ), learn where on the web to find the good deals and you too can be free of the computer companies who prey on the ignorance of the masses....HAPPY COMPUTING!!!!
    Can open, worms...everywhere.

Yeah but learn the easy way, let your parents screw up. my parents bought my first system 14 years ago it was an old 8088 the my dad thieved a 386/25 from his office, then a 486/25 then a P133, all sucked but in Dec. 98 I built my own PC
    Abit BH6
    P2-350 oc'ed 434 (got for 50 bucks and a free Voodoo1 card, god that guy was a moron)
    128MB ram
    2 4.3Gb hard drives (stole one out 0f 133, my parents'll never knew.)
    40x TrueX Hi-val Cdrom (actually 40x across the whole CD)
    Elsa Erazor II TNT card 16MB AGP (KICKS ***!!!)
    STB 12MB Voodoo2 card (also out of 133 but it was mine anyway)
    View sonic 19" monitor

an altogether great deal at under $1300
    so this just proves that you need to shop around

A friend of mine at work just bought a new PC and was real proud of it. Then she told me it was a Packard Bell. I have to say, it wasn't easy for me not to ruin her excitement by revealing that she had made the worst possible brand name choice. Oh, well. Maybe I can build her a system in a few months.

Kharybdis--LOL! I think I had about half a dozen boot disks for games at all times! I haven't thought of those wretched things in a long time. On the plus side again, I learned a hell of a lot about what makes computers tick (or not tick, in the case of PB). The burning desire to get the newest coolest game to run on a Packard Bell (no easy task, mind you) got me tinkering with config.sys, autoexec.bat, setup files, much of which has actually benefitted me later on, not that I wouldn't have eventually learned it by now, but it gave me a head start over a lot of my friends who actually had computers that worked, instead of just being worked on. And Lazarus, yes, play nice. Even though it hurts you to see a friend buy a PB, remember that she is still excited about it, at least for now. Try not to ruin it yet. Just be there for her when her system goes down in flames (and it will). Then steer her in the right direction, and don't let her beat it with a bat. Maybe someday she'll be able to do what I did: sell the entire system, monitor included for about $500 to be someone else's learning experience *cough* (problem) *cough cough*! Eventually she will be a sage and eminent fabricator of PC's such as many of us are now. The initiation is hell. Packard Bell is a draconian but thorough teacher.

well...it is learning, but smart ppl learn off other ppl's mistakes.. (unfortunatly i'm not the one who followed my own advise)
    couple of months ago i got a PB PII 350/64 for $700. it was REALLY cheap, but the PC is crap.
    seems like we all have a PB experience
    P3 700e FCPGA @ 966Mhz w/ Alpha PAL35t
    ASUS CUV4X
    ElanVital T-10ab Case
    KingMax PC150 cas2 HSDRAM
    IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB ATA100
    Asus v7700 Geforce2 GTS 32MB Pure
    SB Live! Value
    ViewSonic PF790 19"
    Klipsch Pro-Media v.2-400
    Netgear FA310TX 100mbps NIC
    MS InteliMouse Epxlorer
    MS Internet Keyboard PRO

Glad i never got the chance to own a PB. But a friend of mine got sucked into buying an IBM Aptiva and when it conked out after the measly 1 year warranty (1 year for a supposedly branded computer), wherein I can get 2 years from clones)... machine's still not working after 2 months with IBM its still not working the replacement board (twice replaced always conked out, according to IBM the generic 32MB DIMMS were the culprit, which incidentally were installed by one of their authorized dealers and has been running in that system for months. I don't know who's really at fault here, we'll find out soon enough cause my friend has hired lawyers and PR people to work on this. They got fed up with IBMs finger pointing tactic, blames everybody but themselves. I saw a sign somewhere about IBMs customer first policy, lotsaCRAP!!!

Thread Information