Want To Buy A PS3? How Long Until You Can Afford It? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want To Buy A PS3? How Long Until You Can Afford It?

thats gotta be pretty cool though, having your own online lan room. i cant imagine keeping 4 or more pc's up-to-date though, that has to cost you an arm and a leg. i did notice that you need to upgrade all of those screens to lcd's. the power-savings alone will justify the cost alone.

It would be cool to have your own online lan room. yeah it would cost a arm and a leg keeping them up to date. You use the lan room offen?
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfPersia
    So was I... So was I... Then came a point that all the games I wanted to play moved to PS2! Couldnt afford one then and I can afford one now ... lol But I just bought myself (well preordered) a 14-Disc Superman DVD box set for my 21st birthday *cough* December 2nd *cough*, so thats £50, which is about the price for a used, good condition PS2.
    I use to like the game Driver which was available for the PC and Playstation.
    when Driver 2 came out it was only for the Playstation and PS2 (i think), I didn't have enought money to buy one so I went without.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ELF2000
    It would be cool to have your own online lan room. yeah it would cost a arm and a leg keeping them up to date. You use the lan room offen?
    Everyday, posting from my new comp here (AMD X2 4600, ECS Elitegroup Nvidia 4 Ultra mobo, Nvidia 7600GT 512meg PCI-E video card, 1 gig of Patriot Extreme Ram, Samsung Lightscribe 18x DVD burner, Ultra case with side window (UV blue), Ultra 500w power supply with UV rounded cables, gigabyte heat pipe cpu cooler (biggest I've ever used) and misc items including blue uv light, and case fans with blue lights). And yeah it can cost some bread, I held off updating too much, but looks like with newer games requiring more power (Gothic 3 holy crap!) it leaves me with no choice. Couple of buddies came over today to help and watch me build the case along with drinking my beer so we're all hanging out now on the lan table.

Funny thing is, even with just the five comp, my heating bill has been fairly low this month.

Krupted knows my stance on the Ps3 so I won't rant too hard here .

Seriously, if it was a well made system I wouldn't trash it so much. I just want all the hardcore gamers to sit and think aobut something for a second:

"WHY does it NEED to leech processing power from other PS3s?"

The Xbox 360 doesn't need to? Nintendo Wii doesn't need to? The graphics that I have seen the PS3 do isn't any better than XBOX 360 or Nintendo Wii.

Why the agressive price? What's SOoooooo expensive on the PS3?

I shall give you some answers. The original prototype for the PS3 had 13 PS2 CPUs. At that time they figured the system would cost about $1,500 to the consumer. To cut costs they developed the 'Cell' processor to get those 13 processors by leeching from other PS3's on thier network. Also, Blue-Ray disc players are at thier cheapest around 1,500 dollars as well. So the majority of the cost is due to the fact that it has a Blue-Ray drive. In addition to that, the games are so expensive because Blue Ray Discs are expensive to produce.

Be that as it may, I am just concerned that the software will not be playable natively on the PS3. I beleive you will have to be conencted to thier network to play your 70 dollar games. Madness. So what if they also decide to charge for network access? For people on a budget, it certainly doesn't fit the bill.

I think Nintendo has got it right this time. It's reasonably priced and it ONLY plays games! It doesn't play CD's, DVDs, or HD-DVDs. Its a gaming machine. It is also backwards compatible to the gamecube. A first for Nintendo.

Xbox360 is just plain awesome. Its the cheapest HD-DVD player out there. The games are spectacular looking.

I just think people who have been saving thier money for the PS3 will be sorely disappointed. If anything, wait a few more months after it's release and read all the press. See if it lives up to the 'legend.' It can hurt to wait, hell you've waited this long! If it turns out to be God's gift to Gamers, then you'll have saved that extra little bit for another game.

If it turns out to be the turd-machine I think it is...then you'll have enough to buy an Xbox 360 and a few decent games...or a Nintendo Wii with an impressive library of games.

Think about....

One major problem I see coming with HD consoles is that it's going to take that much longer to develop quality games. Look how long it took games like HL2, Halo2, Doom3/Q4, UT, etc. When the game arrives, there's no guarantee it won't flop! Even with the higher game prices, it still may not offset the extra development time and costs. Wii will be the easiest, since it's more about quality game play. PS3 is banking heavily on power and appearance, but honestly, how much worse will the same title look on an XB360? Likely not enough to make a huge difference. And yes, I think more games are going to be ported to all platforms--far too much time and effort goes into game development to get caught up in an exclusive contract anymore (HL2 is coming to the 360 once Ep2 arrives, and I plan to get it). The XB360 and its 720p standard is probably the best target at this point, as it makes room for a significant graphics improvement, but not at the expense of extreme development times or the need for 50GB BR media. Maybe it will all work out for Sony and the PS3, but I have a feeling that the cost and effort may not be appreciated for a long long time.

The one other thing the PS3 has going against it (other than the scarce supply due to production issues) is that XB360 titles are already dropping into the $30 range. Sony may FUD the media saying that the 360 costs just about as much to buy as a new PS3 after all the add-ons (where they include unnecessary upgrades), but in reality, the XB360 is better poised to take this holiday season, thanks to the better availability and abundance of games. The best games are yet to come on the 360, which only makes owning one all the more exciting! This holiday season definitely belongs to MS and Nintendo.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Just 17 days to wait for the new Zelda... We're five at work to have pre-ordered the Wii, and I guess we'll have to take a day off work on November 20

I'm eager to see how the PS3 will pan out though, PS1 and 2 were very good consoles, despite the first-gen technical issues... anyone remember the PS1s that needed to be upside-down to read the discs? The PS still has one of my favorite franchises (WipeOut) as an exclusive, hopefully they'll extend it to other platforms as well

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

I'm going to preorder a PS3 on Friday from my small town local retailer. We've never had a line haha. But they always get at least 5 of the new systems in and I'm one of the people that picks one up. Anyway, I'm not going to keep it actually, I'm going to sell it on EBay to make some cash. I already preorded my Wii which I'm much more exicted about than the PS3. The way I see it, with the profit I make from the PS3, I'll be able to pay for the Wii plus games and stuff!

Gotta love those crazy cats who will pay anything for a PS3 in the first week...

Watch out, I've heard that in Japan, so many people have eBayed their PS3s that some people are walking away with them for retail price!
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Good luck even getting the one you preordered (and paid cash downpayment).

I think the unavailibility of the Blue Ray lazer is the issue in Sony missing their quota by 50%.

Without enough machines to play games on, the real loosers will be the software developers. Not many consoles = not many sales of new games. Microsoft has a far better record of providing development kits to the software writers and Sony has always had an attitude toward developers. It was excusable when they controlled the lions share of the console gaming market.

I see Sony offering an overpriced console with an underdeveloped product game base. The Hype is the only thing selling.

the real winners are those who ebay their new systems. they will easily turn a $1200 profit! you just wait and see

Watch out, I've heard that in Japan, so many people have eBayed their PS3s that some people are walking away with them for retail price!
    i doubt it, this is america

we watched two Japanese PS3's sell on Ebay UK last night, one went for £990 + £70 shipping , and the other for £1,100 + shipping. Someone is making money.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

£1,100 +??? Holy Cash Sink Batman! That's insane...

Maybe I should sell mine in the UK...after the conversion, I'd me getting about $2000

Not too bad, that gets me a lot of Wii games!!! (WHICH IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!111eleven!!

I agree, the Wii is the first console other than the DS which I would actually consider parting with my cash for
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

playstation 3's are now closing at $3,650! my god i was wrong, people are spending more then i thought.

this is the first day too. in two weeks, man i bet we see one hit 6k. if you have a ps3, you would be absolutely STUPID not to sell it on ebay.

Thread Information