LCD Resolution Question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: LCD Resolution Question

LCD Resolution Question

After 3 years, my beloved 22" CRT is giving up. I want to replace it with an LCD giving similar screen real estate, but I'm confused by the resolution choices. My primary applications are digital photography (i.e., Photoshop) and gaming. I currently run the CRT at 1280x1024 which gives my admittedly aging system the ability to not stagger and die under PS loads and games. The 20.1" LCDs I've seen look great, but is it required to run them at the recommended resolution (say, 1600x1200)? I know previous generation LCDs had a "native" resolution where everything looked best. I'm planning on upgrading to a more powerful system (I build them myself), but not for a few months. I have an NVIDIA 6800 GT 256MB video card which is pretty powerful, but my processor is an AMD 64 3200+ which is getting old. If I can run the LCD at non-wide settings, is there a penalty? Finally, if the monitor requires a non-standard resolution, will my video card be able to support it (i.e., is the non-standard resolution one of the choices from the menu)? Thanks.

I'd go with a 19" LCD (your real estate will be about the same) which usually run in 1280x1024 native resolution, the same as you had before. Most non native resolutions don't look as good on LCDs. Your system should be fine.

you might want a screen with higher native res then 1280x1024. imo if you are looking to buy a screen that will last through future upgrades you should get a 1600x1200. with that resolution you know anything in its lifetime will run optimally. the problem right now is most hardware cant runs games that high, but downscaling for now is better then not being able to go higher in the long run. just my look on it
    Last edited by krupted; September 25th, 2006 at 02:52 PM.

I've got a 20" LCD here and I love it. I rarely run 3D games at that res, but running games at a non-optimal resolution isn't all that bad -- sharp edges are rarely important in that sort of thing anyway.

For general desktop work, the extra resolution is awesome. Especially in Photoshop, you'll appreciate the extra real estate.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

yep. and i also agree that people shouldnt be worried about using lower resolutions on lcd's. its just not an issue when playing games, and still isnt that bad for desktop texts. i would think a 1600x1200 20" screen would downscale even better then a standard 19".

Thread Information