Added a hard-drive.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Added a hard-drive.

Question Added a hard-drive.

Hey all!

For my first post I will prove how little I know!

I had and old PC {500mhz} that's MB died, taking the HD out of access. I was given an old HP Pavili0n #6630 which is also 500mhz and also running win98.

I took the 1stHD {now called slave}and put it into the HP and slaved it on a seperate cable, yes I moved the clip. I runs and I can acess all my old files, but I can't run any of the programs. It says the needed 'whatever' isn't present. I figure it's because it's on the 'slaveHD' and the win98 the PC is running off of is on the 'MasterHD'.

Here's my 1st question:

Other than trying to load all the parts of the program by click and drag, which means I'll probably miss one, what can I do?

2nd Q:

I've heard that the HP Pavilion doesn't like running slave HDs and will eventually go psycho, can I keep it this way or will it freak?

Oh ya, I have no money at the present to buy ANYTHING, so this has to be something I can download free or program myself.

No can do...
    When you install an application, it copies files to many Windows folders and makes many entries to the registry...You're not using the old windows files or old windows registry..

You'll have to reinstall the apps.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Okay, so I have to reinstall them on the new {to me} one.
    Do I delete them from the slaveHD?

How about the second question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisart
    2nd Q:

I've heard that the HP Pavilion doesn't like running slave HDs and will eventually go psycho, can I keep it this way or will it freak?

Oh ya, I have no money at the present to buy ANYTHING, so this has to be something I can download free or program myself.
    Also, does all this mean the slaveHD gets to be storage only?

The slave hard-drive will work, no problem with that. You can use-it as data storage or install programs on it, your choice.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Talking SlaveHD

Cool! So the thing won't freak? I'd heard that HP Pavilions don't like running slave HDs and will eventually go psycho. Okay, so far only one guy I know says it will freak and about six say it won't.

Thanks!

Thread Information