Possible Dead Hard Drive - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Dead Hard Drive

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763
    Can you navigate to it in disk managment and format it if you start in Safe Mode?
    That still said the same thing, but it was Norton again in the end, turns out the "Norton Protected Files" in the Recycle Bin was stopping it, I have just disabled this on all three drives now and am currently running a full format as I type this

Thanx for everyone's help

I think my PC is officially DEAD! I partitioned my SATA C: drive into two parts, One for XP and one for Vista RC1.

Everything was working fine last night, but I tured on my PC this morning and it came up with dual-boot menu, I chose XP and it came up with XP logo and stayed there for a few mins, so I restart then it says "Start windows normally or Safe mode etc" I chose Last known Good config.. then it shows the screen saying Boot from CD... then does nothing!

I put in the windows xp cd and try to reinstall and it wont let me on either of my IDE or SATA drives!! I tried Vista RC1 same thing. On XP it has the screen where I can delete the partition etc but does not show format. When I try to install XP it keeps saying "...However, this disk does not contain a Windows XP-compatible partition." On Vista RC1 it tells me "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation"

I JUST finished paying off for all my PC parts and now everything stops working!!! Someone help me get windows running or my dad will murder me!!

Ok so I got windows running again, installed just the basics...

It seems that the Pc will refuse to boot if I have any IDE HDDs plugged in! Windows XP is installed on my main SATA drive. However, once in windows, if I then plug in the IDE hard drive, I get access to it, but not before it boots into windows.

When installing XP it wouldnt even let me install on either IDE or SATA HDDs or format, only delete paritions. Then once I unplugged the IDE HDD *Ta-Daa* Windows begins the setup process!

Now my second, IDE drive, is very important to me, as it contains all my main back-ups and every single last one of drivers and programs, so it must be used, so there must be a way to gain access to Windows without having to unplug the drive everytime I turn on or restart my PC?

Also I got an error in the notification area just before one restart saying "Windows Delayed Write File Error..." If someone could also let me know what that is?
    Last edited by PrinceOfPersia; September 24th, 2006 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfPersia
    However, once in windows, if I then plug in the IDE hard drive,
    Aside from USB and LAN connections, it's not a good idea to plug or unplug anything while the computer is powered, most especially anything inside the case.

Yes I know, but it is the only way for me to access this drive, and since I needed to install my main drivers, I had no other option. I couldnt plug it in before boot-up as if it was plugged in then it just wont boot
    Last edited by PrinceOfPersia; September 24th, 2006 at 05:27 PM.

I cant seem to find a solution to this problem, but I have heard of people having this problem. I am currently running Hiren's Boot CD and running just about every hard drive tool I can on the IDE drive, which will probably take over 24 hours, but since I cant find a soloution, I'm going to do everything I can to fix this on my own

if you used goback on the drive and didn't properly remove it, you'll have to do a zero fill or use DBAN. Goback is nasty.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

No I dont use GoBack, the only drive tool I use is Acronis True Image to make drive back-ups, which were unfortunatly deleted when trying to install windows...

I seem to have gotten my Pc to boot with the IDE drives plugged in from the start, I had to use partition magic to wipe the drive completly but not before moving all the data to the C:. However, I then installed everything in Windows, thinking i had finally finished everything and my pc was ok, until a restart...

As soon as I was back in windows, it seems like the everything i installed was just wiped! all my icons were blank in the desktop, start menu, quick launch everything! I went to the program file folders and nothing was working, nothing!

I just re-installed XP for the third time in less than a week! I just installed the basic drivers for motherboard, CPU and firewall & Anti-virus. I have to say I am very upset by this!! I will have to install everything all over again tomorrow, I'd do it now but I have a killer head-ache!

Thread Information