HELP! I deleted the drivers to my DVD-ROM Drive!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HELP! I deleted the drivers to my DVD-ROM Drive!

HELP! I deleted the drivers to my DVD-ROM Drive!

HI!
    I just undertook a basic CD/DVD drive swap in my two computers (2 each comp) and I read somewhere on the net saying I needed to uninstall drive from device manager before physically removing it. I originally chose to replace my Sony DVD-ROM drive with a Asus DVD-RW one so I uninstalled it. Then I changed my mind and removed my Phillips CD-RW instead and in its place, installed my ASUS Multi DVD-RW Drive (next to the Sony).

Started up computer and Windows doesn't recognise both of them. I don't have the installation CD for the Sony and the website only has firmware updates which are useless to me (same with the Asus!).

Tried restoring computer but that didn't work. Tried looking on net for drivers but didn't find any. Tested the wiring and lights flash so its 'on' but unuseable...so I'm stuck. Would BIOS checking help if those 2 drives don't show up in my comp, device manager etc?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

ETA I did a search to see if this topic was covered to no avail...I hope this issue isn't too obvious to be tedious! LOL

First are the both drives recognized in your bios? Second, are they on the same ide channel with one set to master the other slave (or if on a ide channel with a hard drive, is the drive set to slave with the hard drive set to master, not cable select)? Usually this is the problem when I had this happen to me.

atapi drives don't require drivers.

sounds like you didn't set the jumpers properly.

Actually the drivers come with the operating system. So this shouldn't be a os problem, more likely hardware.

Could someone give me a quick crash course on BIOS or direct me where I could find some instructions? I swear I did find a page/thread couple of days ago but is now lost to the vast abbyss that is the net...

I'll definately check the connections again as I thought as there were lights - that everything was ok on that end!

Cheers everyone!

THG Bios for Beginners

If you don't know your way around the bios, then I wouldn't be surprised if you messed up the jumpering. if the two drives are on the same cable, then one has to be set to master and the other has to be set to slave. otherwise, you need to set BOTH to cable select. you cannot mix master/slave and cable select. it won't work.

Success! cheers everyone!

I didn't assign the master and slave drives with that tiny pin! Anyhoo, Its all Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Linwe
    Success! cheers everyone!

I didn't assign the master and slave drives with that tiny pin! Anyhoo, Its all Good!
    Was my first (after checking the bios) guess.

Thread Information