Official Sony 2200 mAh ExtendedPSP Battery
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Official Sony 2200 mAh ExtendedPSP Battery

Angry Official Sony 2200 mAh ExtendedPSP Battery

Has anyone else got one of these? The new official Sony PSP "Extended" Battery pack? Which is supposed to last 20% longer than the original 1800 mAh battery which comes with the PSP.

I bought one of these and tried to compare my original battery with this extended one. In the PSP menu, I went to system settings > battery Information >... and it told me once fully charged the original battery had 11 hours and 24 mins on it. Then I tried the extended battery, fully charged, and it said 6 hours and 21 mins on it.

Now is this just me, or is something very, very wrong here?

the battery wont show its full capacity until you charge it a few cycles. wait about two weeks of normal use to find the maximum capacity. also, dont discharge the pack completely, ever. nimh and li-ion batteries can be damaged by complete discharge. unlike nicads, which like to be fully discharged before charging again.

I see... Well in that case I might have ruined this battery :S

I left the PSP on over night, twice, too drain the battery and completly recharge it, thought it might jus need some exessive usage before I got the full power out of it. Either way I just bought a 3000mAh battery, which should arrive in a week or so, so I'll make sure not to do that again!

How long should I charge a new battery for when I first get it?

what type of battery is it? im guessing its a lithium-ion pack, but it could be nimh or even possible nicd. nicd is unlikely though.

It is supposed to be a lithium battery pack which has 3000 mAh compared to the original 1800 mAh battery

so, if i get this right, your origonal battery works, the 'official extended' one is dead, and now you have a thrid one comming? if thats the case, i doubt the battery died from old age, and i really dont think the psp will ruin the batt from a discharge. but who knows, it is a sony

With li-ion batteries, technically, they should work at full capacity on the very first charge. in the real world, you will see maximum hold after a couple weeks of normal use. you can let the psp die, the psp should cut off power before critical levels of voltage on the battery go too low. In best case practice though, charge the pack when its goes just below 50% left. li-ions ideally like to be used in the 50-90% full state. also, you dont have to always completely charge the pack once broken in. you will notice you can get an 85% charge in 1/4 or less the time it takes to reach 100%. you loose some playing minutes but it only takes minutes to reach a near-full capacity charge.
    Last edited by krupted; October 2nd, 2006 at 04:06 PM.

Hehe... Remember when I said I ordered a 3000mAh battery? Well I got it this morning, but it said 3600 on the front of the battery, still the same size as standard and fits nicely in the PSP with no extra fatness... However this battery now says 5 hours 17 mins left from a full charge! LOL!! What's going on? Do I just have bad luck or does the battery just need a bit of everyday usage and charging to gain more power?

Don't depend on the meter to show battery life because I have found that it is quite inaccurate. Just go by how long it lasts during use and see if it lasts longer.

-AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm -Abit AV8pro mb -Swiftech MCX6400-V cpu heatsink -BFG Nvidia 6800 gt oc to 425/1100 using nv silencer 5 on it.
    -2x512 mb crucial memory dual channel -200gb seagate hd 7,200rpm 8mb cache -36gb WD Raptor hd 10,000rpm 8mb cache -400w raidmax powersupply w/ led fans
    -Logitech Z-680 speakers -Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    -21"HP 1800x1440@85hz CRT -Logitech mx1000 mouse (its powered by friggin lasers) -Lite-on 16x dvd drive -Lite-on 16x dvd-r/rw drive double layer -Platinum Xp case (moded with windows and other stuff)

Msn-jpsrr@msn.com Yahoo-Bregulator121 Aol-Bregulator121

Link to pictures of my computer (not updated in awhile)
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289265327

Well I tried running the batt non-stop (Sony 2200mAh) which displays 6 hours and 12 mins on the clock, but I left a game running in demo mode (screen set to turn off after 5mins) and it went dead before the 5 hour mark!

Now testing a 3600mAh 3rd party battery which says 5hours on the clock from a full charge

Thread Information