[RESOLVED] Static crackling on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Static crackling on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Static crackling on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum

I've asked many other places for this problem, but haven't got a solution for my problem yet.
    So, I'm having this static crackling/popping on my audio card, and it seems the problem isn't at least caused by the drivers (I've propably tried every single driver there is). The crackling occurs only once in a while and might last for some time. This used to happen only when using EAX in some games, but now it seems to appear any time. I also thought that my motherboards integrated soundcard could cause this problem, so I disabled it from the BIOS. Unfortunately this didn't help. Someone also said that some motherboards might cause this, but I recently bought a new motherboard, so it shouldn't be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This happens to me too. And just recently started happening..

One thing I am soon to check is how the power wires are in my case, it seemed to start happening when I had to rearrange wires in my case.

I get it when there is heavy CD-ROM or hardrive reading. I've read that processor temperature might have something to do with it, but I highly doubt that. I have also read that it happens on VIA motherboard chipsets, particularly older ones (Im using a KT600). And that there is a "latency" that causes it.

The crackling when CD ROM reads has always happened to me, the hardrive reading crackling happened when I rewired the power. Im going to try and get it on its own power cable sometime later today, and see the results.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Did you try disabling the "Turbo" setting in the registry?
    That is a fairly old trick. For more info on the matter do a Google search. Or even try contacting Creative Labs for the matter. Check on their forums or ask for technical support.

Good luck!

-

Thanks for your replies, but still having the problem, even after disabling Turbo. I wouldn't like to think the problem is in the card itself because it isn't too old.

When this was a major problem around 1999-2000 with the Soundblaster Live! card, the problem was with the PCI latency setting mainly on VIA chipset based motherboards. Some people could solve it by increasing the PCI latency in the BIOS to 128, while some could solve it by lowering the latency to 0. There was a patch made available that almost always worked too. As far as today's hardware, I'm not sure anyone has ever fixed it.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

The Turbo setting is associated with the PCI latency in the first place so it should have solved ur problem. Something else you can try is check if your soundcard is sharing IRQ's with another device. If so, try switching PCI slots and retry. Remember to reset IRQ's in the BIOS after every change to avoid any problems. (Rare but definately there!)
    Good luck mate!

Yes, make sure latency is off in the motherboard.

Also download all the newest updates from creative
    http://www.creative.com/support/
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

I've propably tried everything now. I decided to buy a new soundcard, Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi. Since nothing worked, the problem must be in the card itself. Thanks for your replies!

People have reported the same problem on the X-Fi as well. That may have been a mistake buying one to fix the problem.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

i agree with wrath. just stay away from creative. far, far away.

why I have the elite pro from sound blaster and I think it's awsome!!!

Identical story

I had the same problem with my SB Audigy 2 that came with my Dell XPS system. It was out of control. I think the sound card was garbage. Bought the new X-FI Plat. and solved the problem. Talk about being lazy; buying my problems away

i think the origonal poster's problem is he is running VISTA, i might guess. my audigy 2 has been HORRENDOUS ever since i installed vista. creative did release new drivers three days ago though, and they are seeming to be much better (took about a half hour to install )

for the people who like their creative cards, you simply havent used anything else. get a good quality cmi chipset card and it will be like that glob of earwax just fell out

Same problem

I have an Audigy 2 Platinum, and did not have this problem until today, when I installed the newest drivers to try to get rid of another problem (after hours of World of Warcraft running, the sound would lock up in a fast stutter, not sure if it fixed that yet).

As soon as the new drivers were installed and I started WoW, the static started through the speakers, and didn't stop even after exiting WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by krupted
    i think the origonal poster's problem is he is running VISTA, i might guess. my audigy 2 has been HORRENDOUS ever since i installed vista. creative did release new drivers three days ago though, and they are seeming to be much better (took about a half hour to install )

for the people who like their creative cards, you simply havent used anything else. get a good quality cmi chipset card and it will be like that glob of earwax just fell out
    Really? I've always found cmedia cards sounded so flat and tinny
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

Thread Information