[RESOLVED] Set Wallpaper for ALL users
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Set Wallpaper for ALL users

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Set Wallpaper for ALL users

Anyone know how to set a default wallpaper in XP for ALL users...intead of the 'Bliss'?

I know how to set a default login screen / background color...but nothing on how to make sure all users get the same wallpaper when logging in.
    We do precision guesswork.

Open regedit while logged onto an account with admin priveledges. In regedit, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click on File (at the top) and select Load Hive. Navigate to c:\documents and settings\default user. The file you want to open is NTUSER.DAT. It will ask you to name it- call it Default User. Now it will show up as "Default User" under your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Go into Default User->Control Panel->Desktop and find the Wallpaper key. Just put in the path\filename in place of what's already there. That will change the wallpaper for all new users logging into the system. Now, assuming you still have regedit open, go back up until you're resting at Default User, now click on File->Unload Hive. Now create a new user and login and see if the wallpaper is changed. Be aware that the wallpaper you put in must be located in an area where everyone has at least read access permissions.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Thx wrathchild, that's just what I was looking for....I can edit the file and include it in the image...should save some time.
    We do precision guesswork.

you could set a local policy instead of hacking the registry also.

start-run-gpedit.msc

local computer policy - user configuration - administrative templates -desktop - active desktop - active desktop wallpaper

.bat file

has anyone created a .bat file for this that would make my life easier? I have 790 units to touch in the field and if I could run a .bat file to accomplish this it would be great.

Yes thanx Wrathchild. I had the same issue and this worked perfect for me. However I would also like to create a batch file that will do this as well as drop the wallpaper image file into the Window\web\wallpaper folder. I have several thousand machines this has to be done on and I would like to make a package for this using Altiris to push out. If not i guess I could just make a RIP.

Thread Information