Can I use two dsl routers in the same phone line?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Can I use two dsl routers in the same phone line?

Can I use two dsl routers in the same phone line?

is there any way to use two dsl routers on the same phone line? (what about simultaneously) The fact is that I wanna share my dsl line with a friend who lives in a far room, but i don't want her to enter in my place to turn on the router when she wants to use the internet connection (because i have to turn it off when i'm out) .
    is there other way she can access to internet using my line but without having to depend on my router? Thank you for helping

You can only have one DSL modem active on a phone line at once.

Why do you think you need to turn your router off when you're out?
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttle
    You can only have one DSL modem active on a phone line at once.

Why do you think you need to turn your router off when you're out?
    what he said. there is no reason to turn off the router. DSL and Cable are meant to be "always on". you're making it harder than it has to be.

They may have a "Lite" account or something similar where they pay for overages and want to turn the modem off to prevent bandwidth theft.

At any rate by empirical experimentation I have found it seems to make no difference if you have 1 or 2 DSL modems attached to a single line, although if both are running on at the same time the second one powered up will take a while to sync. Also they can't be assigning the same DHCP pool or be the same IP for gateway, but thats the same as having any two routers in the same network. Most DSL ISPs allow 2 concurrent logins...one is supposed to be for dialup access but since they generally go to the same authentication server it lets you do this by DSL as well.

Thread Information