Outfitting my new laptop!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Outfitting my new laptop!

Question Outfitting my new laptop!

As I am going to be going to college this fall, I made a purchase of a new laptop.

Dell Latitude D820
    Intel Centrino Duo Core 2.0 GHz
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    80 GB Hard Drive
    256MB Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M

I have some questions about things I should get for my computer. I want to have lots of storage and my 80GB hard drive won't cut it, so I am wanting advice on a an external hard drive (250 GB-300 GB). I have heard that firewire is faster than USB 2.0. My computer has a 4 pin firewire port, which I am thinking I would be able to get a converter cord to adapt for this smaller port. Also has anyone had any experience with Bluetooth mice? My comp has Bluetooth and I was wondering if it was worth getting a bluetooth mouse or should I just get a wireless one? Also, are laptop cooling stations a worthwhile investment?

Any and all input will be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by live4golf; August 2nd, 2006 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo

That's a lot of questions for one post. hehe

I would go with USB2. even though Firewire is a bit faster, you would want the compatibility that USB2 offers. Chances are you buddies will have USB2 in case you need transfer info.

I don't see the need to spend more money for a bluetooth versus a regular wireless mouse. I like the MS notebook mice over the Logitechs. The Logitech V400 that i had kept going into sleep mode too fast. the tracking was poor too.

laptop cooling stations work ok, but it depends on what you're doing. as long as you keep the laptop vents clear, it should be ok.

yeah... I guess that I asked way too many questions.

My most important question to be answered is what external hard drive do you recommend?

you can either build your own or buy a prebuilt. If you buy an enclosure, you can choose any drive you want.

am i wrong?

i thought usb 2.0 was A Hi-Speed rate of 480 Mbit/s and that Firewire was 400 Mbit/s

that's theoretical maximums. in real world tests, firewire is faster.

http://www.acomdata.com/hdp/harddrives-faqs-E5.html

For day-to-day hard drive use, USB 2.0 and FireWire will have comparable performance though FireWire will probably have a slight performance edge, which can make a difference if you are performing tasks that require large, frequent data transfers.

Firewire would also be the port of choice if doing any video transfer from camera to HD. You would need a larger internal HD for that.

How about a lock to at least try and keep the monster.

good to know. i'll stop spreading misinformation

thanks!

Thread Information