Nvidia Geforce 7600GT: Your Opinions?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Nvidia Geforce 7600GT: Your Opinions?

Smile Nvidia Geforce 7600GT: Your Opinions?

Hi guys!!
    Like the topic says, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the Geforce 7600GT in terms of value (my price limit is about $180-ish), performance, and especially how long to you think it will last me before I have to buy a new one. It's way passed due for me to upgrade and I want to make a good, educated decision before purchase. I understand the whole Vista/DX10 crazy scenario and people say to wait until it comes out, but frankly those cards are going to be so expensive and Vista's probably going to have its share of bugs when it comes out so I'm not even going to bother to worry about that right now.

I'm just wanting a card that will play recent games exceptionally and still have reasonable game-play a couple years down the road. Any suggestions besides the 7600GT is welcomed. I appreciate any and all advise and opinions.

Oh, here are my computer specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200 (~2.2GH)
    1gb RAM
    Geforce FX 5200 (yes, I'll give you a moment to recover at the sight of my awful card. And yes, i'm very aware how crappy it is!!)

If i knew where to look for what my motherboard is I'd list that too. I understand it being PCI-E compatible is important for this type of card, so if you could also let me know where to look for that. I've tried DXDIAG and Device Manager, but I'm probably just not reading it right or something

Once again, thanks guys for your comments!!

Don't wait for Vista or DX10. Vista only requires a DX9 compliant card. it will be a long long time before games require DX10.

You don't have PCIe, so you'll be looking for an AGP card. The 7600GS AGP was recently announced, so that's your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    Don't wait for Vista or DX10. Vista only requires a DX9 compliant card. it will be a long long time before games require DX10.

You don't have PCIe, so you'll be looking for an AGP card. The 7600GS AGP was recently announced, so that's your best bet.
    Hey, thanks for responding!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130036

Do you mean this card? How long do you suppose it will last me?

yup that's the card. AGP is all but dead. it should get you by until you buy your new system.

You might also want to consider the clearance offers at http://shop.ati.com. With the coupon code "ATILL5off" you can grab a refurb X800XL VIVO for about $110 or a new X850 Pro for $130.

To be honest though, you are not going to be able to play modern games "exceptionally" without further upgrades and a faster graphics card.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Key word is 'exceptionally'. My old socket A which is what he has now was ably to play FEAR quite well even at 1280 x 960.

I have a plethora of AGP cards as well. BFG 5900, ATI 9600 XT, EVGA 6600 GT, BFG 6800 NU and BFG 6800 GT. All waiting for the right person.

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

Thread Information