God-freakin-dammit, I hate ATI - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: God-freakin-dammit, I hate ATI

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone

Well, I already knew what would happen, because I've tried it before. Several times. And I was already sick and tired of this crap anyway. But just for the sake of posting an "I told you so", here it goes again: I've dug the monitor out of storage and connected it again.

So here goes: I told you so.

Unchecking that checkbox does produce an impressive list of 4:3 modes, plus the HDTV modes, but no 1680x1050. I can get 1920x1080, which the monitor doesn't support, but not 1680x1050. Predictably, because, as I've said, I've done it before.

Not that it would have helped anyway. Even if it worked -- which, again, it doesn't -- the problem of ATI's cretinous rescaling would have still remained. E.g., even though now I can select 1920x1080, it is rescaled by ATI and then cropped to 1600x1200. So I get to pan left and right through it, while the left and right of the screen have wide black bands. Yes, seriously. It's _that_ unbelievably sad.

Reinstalling Acer's drivers or uninstalling and installing an edited one that says 1680x1050 predictably does nothing whatsoever, as I've said before. ATI cheerfully ignores the monitor driver. Ditto for editing the monitor modes in the registry. It doesn't give a rat's *** about what's written there.

Again, it's not that the card or the drivers don't support that resolution. The 9250 SE may have that problem, but the X1900 XTX doesn't. It's a supported resolution. That's not the problem.

The problem is: once ATI reads "1600x1200" through the DVI port, it ignores all else. Some PHB must have thought "think of all the support people we can fire if we don't allow the user to set unsupported modes and then call us about it." Even if those users end up with a twice-rescaled fuzzy image, probably most won't even know it's a problem. They might take the monitor back to the shop, but not figure out that it's the idiots at ATI that are to blame.
    Last edited by Moraelin v2.0; August 5th, 2006 at 06:10 AM.

Just as a quick update, strangely enough the Omega drivers do detect the monitor as 1680x1050. Guess it's 100% ATI's fault then.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraelin v2.0
    Just as a quick update, strangely enough the Omega drivers do detect the monitor as 1680x1050.
    Not that strange, which is why I suggested it a couple of times! I don't think they affect the detection, they just force 1680x1050 as a custom res.

I assume no joy with the recently released 6.7s?
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Actually, nah, that's the strange thing. It's not just that the mode is available. With the Omega ones, it actually detects the panel as 1680x1050, and when it offers to rescale the other resolutions it's to this one.

Hmm, odd. Well, the reason I mentioned it is that a lot of people with "lost" resolutions have had success with the Omega drivers over at Rage3D forums.

WOW< i am SO Lucky so find someonne with the same EXACT problem i'm having and still have.

i also have a Acer 2032w mon + ATI x1900 GT, no matter what version of catalyst , incl'ing Omega's, NGO's, i cannot get 1680x1050 work properly. i DO get that resoultion if i do not hide unsuported modes or using powerstrip, but the timings are extreemely wacky, like the 1680x1050 doesnt fill up my screen, its kinda showing half of it. And there's nothing i can do because i am using DVI connection.

weird thing is, before x1900, i had r9800 pro which had my 1680x1050 work fine.

im not super sure but as i recollect this old version od ATI's hydra vision allowed me to use both DVI and VGA by running multiple desktops still its a PAIN IN THE *** !!! .......... also everytime i use my Radion 7500 it removes the standard Vga Drivers any have any ideas??

P.S. Ati video cards never quite seem to fit the resolution they say they do sometimes depending on what programs i use it almost zooms in causing my start bar to dissapear ..its almost like the ati developers hang out behind nVidia's Dumpster and salvage all the crap softwares Forceware vs Catalyst
    is like Chuck Liddel Vs Professor Farnsworth(futurama)
    Last edited by K7MASUS; September 9th, 2006 at 02:18 AM.
    "Im Gonna Need That Picture Of Edward James Olmose's A$$ Back"

Thread Information