Sli ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Sli ?

Sli ?

I have an SLI board and a 7800 gt 256 card. Can I put in a 7900 gt or does it have to be the same as the other card ( 7800 )

I'm pretty sure you need same-model cards (7800GT + 7800GT), and possibly even the same make (eVGA, Asus, etc).

Hmm, according to The Sli zone http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html It mentions different mfg's ok but it's not to clear on the mixing of say a 7800 and a 7900

Your probably right that I would need the same "7800"

All may be for waste anyway since I use an LCD and the native is 1280 so what would be the point I guess in having SLI if I couldn't crank it up in games.

Yeah, and it's not like the 7800GT isn't a good card still.

From what I've read it's pretty much a given that both cards have to be the same Nvidia GPU though manufacturers and clock speeds can be different. And another note, if you use two cards with different ram sizes, you have to use CoolBit to allow the cards to run at the lower of the two ram sizes (ie. 256 and 512, both would only run at 256 in SLI).

and if you can get another 7800 I had one and wanted to get the second one for sli but the 7800 series has been phased out!!! I am now with ATI and crossfire

Yeah I had thought about that...what if when I'm ready there isn't any around =( Ebay still has them. Maybe I'll pick one up anyway.

There should still be a few around. This is kinda the risk of SLI though. I think nVidia and ATI are much faster about phasing out the old cards these days, just so you don't have the ability to upgrade for so cheap. They want you to buy two high-end cards at the same time, I suppose. It's one of the many reasons why I'm not a fan of the technology.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Thread Information