WinXp SvcvPk2-HDD Size
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: WinXp SvcvPk2-HDD Size

WinXp SvcvPk2-HDD Size

Hi Guys,
    I have just built a new computer, had alot of problems with it, using the most basic config could only get it to boot from the HDD if every time I started it I left the window setup disk in the CD Rom drive, and that took 4 minutes to get to that stage. To cut a long story short, in the end I changed the W/Digital 320Gb IDE HDD to a Seagate 40Gb Ide HDD, formatted installed winXp and everthing is working great. My question is, does windows XpSvc Pk2 have a problem with large capacity drives, and should I have made smaller partitions on it, or do you think my drive was and is faulty
    Regards
    Bob

Most likely the drive was bad.

The original issue of XP has a 27GB limit-- it would see larger drives, but would only report teh first 27GB or somesuch. Service Pack 1 fixed that problem, so in your case, (I read your other thread), I think eithe rthe motherboard was trying to boot off Sata and ignoring the IDE drive (there is a BIOS setting on that, which I believe someone pointed out), or the drive in question was faulty in some way.

Resolved issue noted at other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by BobH
    Thanks Guys,
    W/Digital set their jumpers up differently, went to the WD site and followed their instructions... everything is working ok now
    Thanks again and Regards
    Bob
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information