Frustrating search for a new laptop - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrating search for a new laptop

Really, I've seen the business class HPs in person, and I am impressed. They are very nicely built and have a solid feel to them. Even thier desktop models look fairly durable. I also know some people who say "never get an HP," but they are the same people who go and buy a cheap Dell. Ultimately, I trust HP's build quality, at least as much as the next guy's. I think HP's business notebooks have 3 year warranties, but I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    There are two methods of wireless in a notebook. Older models could add it by a PCMCIA card, now called pc card, in the external slot. For the last several years notebooks have had an internal mini-PCI slot under a cover on the bottom of the unit. You can buy a mini-PCI wireless card for a notebook that has the slot but didn't originally ship with wireless, or upgrade from wireless B to B/G because the interface is standard.
    Your built-in wireless will be from a mini-PCI card. If in a year or two when the new wireless N standard becomes commonplace you decide to upgrade your card, an IBM or HP/Compaq will force you to buy one from them, or modify a regular card at your own risk. The HP will not even boot with the non-HP card installed because of code written into the notebook bios. Dell, Toshiba and Acer don't do this, to the best of my knowledge.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeOnTheTree
    Really, I've seen the business class HPs in person, and I am impressed. They are very nicely built and have a solid feel to them. Even thier desktop models look fairly durable. I also know some people who say "never get an HP," but they are the same people who go and buy a cheap Dell. Ultimately, I trust HP's build quality, at least as much as the next guy's. I think HP's business notebooks have 3 year warranties, but I could be mistaken.
    Thanks. I will certainly have another look at them. Maybe they are really better now. My dad has one from about four years ago which was pretty expensive. That thing has been a nightmare so far.

Another point in HP/Compaq's favour is that they give you a proper XP install cd and another with drivers. Toshiba (and Acer I've heard) gives you an image of the original install.

Dude, wait till you actually have to -like- work for a living...
    Yeah, I've thought that from time to time But these days I wonder if most people really do work for a living any more. Hardly seems like it! People go on being 'kids' until 24-27 now, freeloading off of their parents and living like kings on Bank Teller salaries and going to school part time (to get degrees in art, social science, and communications) since they don't have to worry about essentials. Sorry... pet peave of mine. Tried to date a few of these... bright, but can't understand why you'd really have to go to work or why you can't spend 90% of your pay check taking them out.

Anyway,

I bought several NX series HPs instead of Dells late last year for some of our interns. They took the beatings rather well, and no major complaints. One shipped with a bum battery, though that's happend to us with Dell before too.
    We all Think Different too.

Here is a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 review with linux fedora core 5: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=503&num=1
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyle
    Yeah, I've thought that from time to time But these days I wonder if most people really do work for a living any more. Hardly seems like it! People go on being 'kids' until 24-27 now, freeloading off of their parents and living like kings on Bank Teller salaries and going to school part time (to get degrees in art, social science, and communications) since they don't have to worry about essentials. Sorry... pet peave of mine. Tried to date a few of these... bright, but can't understand why you'd really have to go to work or why you can't spend 90% of your pay check taking them out.
    lol. Unfortunately, I've had quite a bit of experience working with such personalities, people who give up on their job when it gets "boring" or "too hard." I was talking to my boss just yesterday about this, and he was ranting pretty good about it as well. Basically, he was going off on people who've been given way too much, so they never strive for anything and don't commit to a career (or at least a work ethic) of any kind. From my own experience, it's quite sad to see people who don't understand the fact that if you meet the expecations of your job (something that isn't very hard to do at the entry level), people won't criticize you nearly as much, and you might even get promoted if you stick it out. Instead, people work hard for 6-8 months, then get mad that no one has given them a promotion!

Thread Information