Which one??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which one??

Which one??

I probably will be getting a laptop soon, I'm always traveling so I would like a laptop....

1. To watch movies.
    2. To play moderately high demanding graphics games.
    3. To run, Autocad, Photoshop, obviously all office programs with no problems at all.
    4. Not too big or heavy due to my travels.
    5. Tough, but not as tough as the tough book (Panasonic)

Any advise?

Thanks

What do you mean by not too heavy?

You are describing a desktop replacement Laptop so it will be heavy.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jodelba
    ... play moderately high demanding graphics games.
    3. To run, Autocad, Photoshop, ...
    Tough, but not as tough as the tough book (Panasonic) ...
    Just how deep is your wallet?
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

That's a pretty challenging combo. Most portable notebooks have less than high-end graphics cards to help battery life. Typically notebooks that can do games well are DTRs, which aren't light and have less battery life.

Well, maybe graphics good enough to play games like Brothers in arms, or medal of honor, that'll do it. AutoCad and Photoshop discarded.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma
    Just how deep is your wallet?
    I'm willing to pay for an expensive laptop if it's worth it

I'd second ToTT's advice. Gaming capability and notebooks don't go well together, especially if you want to keep size and heat down and battery life up. If you relax that requirement, the rest get easier. To keep some gaming capability look for a unit with nVidia or ATI graphics instead of onboard graphics.

I can definitely take your advise, disregarding the gaming capability what would be the advise? Many thanks.

Go for something with a Core Duo CPU, a dedicated graphics card (Mobility Radeon or GeForce Go), upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB, upgrade to the larger-capacity battery, and shoot for something under 6 lbs. The 15.4" models seem to offer a nice combo of mobility and screen size. 14" WXGA models are nice, but if you plan to run professional applications, then I would probably skip this option. As for brands, I've had good experiences with Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq, and Acer in the past few years.

I'm starting to have doubts on Acer. We picked up a couple at work in May '05, and they've been good, except that recently some of them have developed mechanical issues.. sticky lid-close buttons, won't resume, sceen flickers as lid angle adjusted. Not sure if I like the trend.
    We all Think Different too.

Yeah, the last Acer I used was several years ago now. I guess it is possible that they are losing on quality. I know their entry-level books are pretty cheap looking, but I figured their mid and high level products were of better quality. I guess all OEMs go through bad production/cost cutting phases.

Thread Information