Help with TV Tuner cards and specific cable boxes
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help with TV Tuner cards and specific cable boxes

Help with TV Tuner cards and specific cable boxes

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there is in the same situation as I am.

My Internet and TV provider uses fiber to the house and then there is a box that processes that into ethernet.

Thus my "cable" boxes are connected to the wall using ethernet. Now I have a Tivo box in our living room which has little things that sit on top of the cable box to change the channel.

Basically the "cable" boxes are called Myrio

Is there any TV Tuner cards that work like I described above or is there one which accepts ethernet inputs.

Thanks

Dominic Coombe

never even heard of cable comming in on ethernet. nor am i aware of compatible tv tuners.

however, you can still use any tv tuner you want. what you do is hook the tv tuner up to your cable box. all you will get is one channel (whatever the cable box is set to) but most tv tuners support the use of ir blasters- a device that hooks up to your usb port, then points toward your cable box. Everytime you change the channel on the pc, the ir blaster signals the cable box to change too. pretty slick really, though im sure the setup would be a bit of a pain.

I bet the "things" that the Tivo box uses are IR blasters.

I know this really stinks, because having fiber to the house gives so many benifits, including internet speed. But it is also so restrictive when it comes to splitting or sharing or using advanced technology.

thanks for the info. Guess I will have to live with what I have got for now!

Dominic

is this a digital cable service then? i would suppose it has to be. in that case, even if you had a coax connection for your tv tuner card you still couldnt use it. digital cable only works with cable company boxes, no matter the connection used. they are trying to make it possible to natively receive hd-cable through a pci card, but cable companies dont want it. they want full control of what you watch, record, etc.

from what I understand it is a version of IP-TV. Which I guess is digital tv. As for receiving HD feeds we cannot get that at the moment.

You can check out the site but it really does not offer much info. Siemens is part of the founding company.

Thanks for the help

Dominic

wow, so its analog cable that they convert to low-quality digital and then stream it to your house? interesting.

sounds like your only hope is to hook up your ip-tv box or tv itself to your pc, and use an ir blaster to change the channels.

Thread Information