Need suggestions on a new laptop
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need suggestions on a new laptop

Need suggestions on a new laptop

Hi !!

I was intending on buying a laptop, but I don't know which brand to choose!

It would be mostly for multimedia related applications (mostly 3D and 2D). I want to get at least a T7200 or T7400 has a CPU.

can anyone recommend me a good brand for the types of application i'm going to use? is Dell any good?

Well personally I always buy IBM laptops, but they're not everyone's style. They're a little heavy, but I find them reliable and I hate those mouse scratch pads most of em have. IBM uses a track point, which I like much better.

Dell laptops have a rather poor reputation, but I've never owned one so I can't speak from personal experience. I've had good luck with their desktops but I can't speak well of their business practices.

I think it depends on what you are really going to use it for exactly.

Will it be used as a laptop meaning portable all the time running off the battery most of the time or as a desktop replacement with a bigger screen etc.

FYI: the more powerful and flexable the laptop is the heavier it will be and the desktop replacements can be like 10 pounds.

We need to know more info on what you are going to do with it.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Well personally I always buy IBM laptops, but they're not everyone's style. They're a little heavy, but I find them reliable and I hate those mouse scratch pads most of em have. IBM uses a track point, which I like much better.

Dell laptops have a rather poor reputation, but I've never owned one so I can't speak from personal experience. I've had good luck with their desktops but I can't speak well of their business practices.

It really depends on what you are buying when buying a Dell laptop, most of the ones having problems are the ones who buy the budget models so as always you get what you pay for. Pay next to nothing then you get almost nothing in return. It's best to stick with the higher end models as they built a lot better.

No comment on IBM.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson
    I think it depends on what you are really going to use it for exactly.

Will it be used as a laptop meaning portable all the time running off the battery most of the time or as a desktop replacement with a bigger screen etc.

FYI: the more powerful and flexable the laptop is the heavier it will be and the desktop replacements can be like 10 pounds.

We need to know more info on what you are going to do with it.

I might bring it at school a couple of times, but most of the time it would be sitting on my desk, for me to work on it :]

I'm mostly going to use it for school projects of all sorts (everything from programming to 3d, 2d, video, audio etc...)

Look at HP's business class of notebooks. They should be built well, and they come with a better warranty.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Thread Information