laptop battery life too low
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: laptop battery life too low

laptop battery life too low

i have an acer laptop travel mate 2702lmi . the problem is it's battery lasts a maximum of 45 minutes. i have seen other laptops and they usually last 2 to 3 hours . is there something wrong with mine or is it supposed to be this way?

How old is the battery? Those things only have a warranty of 12 months usually; if it's any older than that it probably just needs replacing.

Make sure you're doing the usual things like running the screen a setting or two below full brightness. The little things like that can make a real difference.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

i got a new battery and tried that too. i keep the sound muted , the brightness at minimum and i recently formated the laptop. i also turn off or disable all unneccessary programs. even if i leave it on the desk and don't actually work at it , it dies after 40 or 50 mins. can't fgiure out what could possibly be wrong.
    it's 3ghz but has only 256 ram. could this huge mismatch mess it up ? can i up grade the ram in it?

From the spec i'd think its more a desktop replacement than a laptop? The cpu is a major power draw there and i doubt you'd get anywhere close to what a centrino package or other mobile cpu would in terms of time. RAM size is not really relevant in this situation, more ram will actually slightly increase the load and drop battery time slightly.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

i read that if you run low on ram then your laptop shifts over to the hard drive for virtual ram . and the hard drive generally draws a lot of power. any idea if i could buy new ram chips and where i can get them. a website would help out. i can't seem to find one for my model.
    what else can o do to maximise my battey span?

http://www.crucial.com/

You can check out the RAM options for your machine here.

Quote Originally Posted by vajeeh
    i read that if you run low on ram then your laptop shifts over to the hard drive for virtual ram . and the hard drive generally draws a lot of power. any idea if i could buy new ram chips and where i can get them. a website would help out. i can't seem to find one for my model.
    what else can o do to maximise my battey span?
    Fair point! but unless you're constantly paging and the hdd light is on most of the time i doubt it'd have a very drastic life reduction on the battery, alot of our laptops have 256 ram and run a very hacked up version of research machines windows XP which is extremely bloated with student monitoring, antivirus, security and other fun stuff that make it constantly page and all have at least 2 1/2 -3hrs hours battery life easily, these are a mix of centrino 1.6 and 2.0Ghz machines, but more RAM can't be anything but good in terms of Windows performance.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Most Acer laptops these days are supplied with a small 4 cell battery as standard issue. These are only good for about 1 hr. in most systems unless you have a newer Centrino. There is an optional 8 cell that last longer, but only slightly under 2 hours. We have several Acer laps in our sales department and most are 1 hour machines (or under an hour, depending on whats running) when the 4 cell is used. One of the biggest draws is the wireless adapter. It can be turned off when not in use and it will actually add 15+ minutes to the battery life.
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply