New Camera | D.O.A.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camera | D.O.A.

New Camera | D.O.A.

I just received a new Digital Camera from B&H Photo. I ordered the Panasonic DMC-LX1 (black) model. The camera came in DOA. Nothing, no lights no sound no nothing.

I am begining to dislike the pace that digitial equipment is produced at.

[/RANT]

that ****s man. i just ordered the canon sd630 from newegg for about $350. how much did you pay for yours? i hope mine is ok, yet i feel confident enough in newegg support anyway.

also, does that panasonic have image stabilization? i was wondering if i should have got a camera with that feature, i hear its nice and i always get shakey.

Hope that CS treats you good for RMA.. soory about the bad cam.

Krupted -

Just recently picked up a Canon S2IS from ZipZoomFly for $335 and love it. Replaced my aging Kodak DX6440 which still works well, but I wanted more manual control and.... Image Stabilization! I shake more than I used to and the IS works great on the S2IS 12x zoom lens. IS is really needed for anything over 6x optical zoom. Most lower zooms can take a little shake. The SD630 is a 3x optical zoom so you should be fine with no IS. My Kodak is a 4x optical and it always does well, but the high zooms like the S2IS really show the shakes.

FYI - You can get Patriot 1GB SD cards here ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820241009) for under $25 after rebate. And these are the 133x speed cards. It works great in my Canon.
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply
    Logitech z-640 5.1's
    Logitech Wireless Mouse
    Win 7 Ultimate........

i already got that patriot card

the camera is AMAZING. it is so small, and the screen takes up the entire back. it is such a cool camera, i want one myself now.

i needed to get the compact kind, its for a general use sort of thing. needs to travel well, and this one is so small it could get lost! very happy with the purchase.

leoslocks- any luck?

I bought the LX-1 at B&H Photo. Great support but a little slow about getting the RMA shipping lable sent to me. $469 for the camera. The body is metal and feels quite well made. (My initial experience tells me otherwise)

The IS on this camera is suppost to be real good. I need a good macro function but was swayed by the 16:9 aspect ration and 30fps motion till the card is full.

I ordered a Sandisk Ultra II card (133 speed 1GB) with the camera but will need several more for the video stuff. I may get some of the Patriot stuff. I am more inclined to get some OCZ stuff. I wonder if the 2BG cards will work in these cameras?

I was really impressed with the way the camera felt in my hand and suprized by its small size. That just served to really make the doa more dissapointing.
    Last edited by Leoslocks; May 12th, 2006 at 12:01 AM.

that panasonic seems almost identical to the canon elf, beside the image stabilization. i did opt for the 3" lcd model, im glad i did- its a complete 'wow' factor. as for the images, i can take shakey shots and they come out crisp, its nothing like my old 2mp fuji. that old camera couldnt take a clean shot unless on a tripod.

also, the video is nice! 640x480 at 30fps is great. totally worth taking a couple minutes of something, the 1gig card goes for about 9 or 10min.

what resolution you normally take pics at?

My CP4500 that just quit on me would take a 1.2 meg jpeg that was quite nice. I imagine I will take 3 meg shots with this camera (tiff) or experiment with the RAW format. The real stregnth of my old Nikon was the macro function. I can't do without it.

Will your camera work with 2GB or larger SD cards? I intend to shoot sove video of my wife batting (softball). She can stroke the ball and I want to preserve it.

only claims movies up to 1gb in length, my guess is though it will work with 2gb cards. it really is up in the air though, since 2gb spec wasnt out when the camera was made i suppose.

It does take 10min at the highest quality 30fps, that isnt too bad. it wouldnt take but 10 seconds to change out a card and keep going. at least this canon powers up and is in ready mode in less then two seconds. im really amazed by the speed of everything with new digital cameras. they are really hitting a prime of design.

I believe it is the Secure Digital memory spec that wasn't designed for larger than 1 gig cards. I may get one of the 2 gig OCZ cards from Monarch and see how it workd.

B&H says that UPS should have sent the return lable via email already. After the rma gets in the UPS system, B&H will cross ship the camera. I had hoped to get it on the way back last night. As it is, it will be monday before anything happens. *%#@&*#

Quote Originally Posted by Leoslocks

I ordered a Sandisk Ultra II card (133 speed 1GB) with the camera but will need several more for the video stuff. I may get some of the Patriot stuff. I am more inclined to get some OCZ stuff. I wonder if the 2BG cards will work in these cameras?

I was really impressed with the way the camera felt in my hand and suprized by its small size. That just served to really make the doa more dissapointing.
    Did you order batteries {sorry ,couldn't resist}

And as for the cards ,my Fujifilm had a firmware upgrade to allow larger cards.

The Battery system was another point that kept me from buying one of the Cannon cameras. I prefer a Lithium rechargeable to the AA batteries. I did order a second battery with the camera. I charged it first only to find the camera did not work. I even charged the Panasonic battery and checked both batteries (with a multimeter) before calling B&H about the doa.

I will visit Panasonic and see what they say about the size limit for media cards.

well the lithium battery is what was shying me away from my canon purchase at first, i would rather have rechargeable aa. but i figured after seeing the high-end stuff all uses the ion packs, i gave in. i too bought a second battery.

When I was studying the Cannons, most of the lesser models had the AA's for power. I would have gotten one locally much sooner if it would have qualified. I do love the Cannon line and the pictures they take.

I downloaded the Panny manuel and 2GB SD cards are the max that are certified with the LX1. No firmware of any kind was found at the Panasonic site. Not a good sign...

I cleaned up my spam filters and finally got the UPS shipping lable. The camera is gone and hopefully next week I will have a working model.

I prefer the AA batteries of the Canon series. I use the rechargable 2500-2900 mah batteries with a good MAHA charging system. Here is a shot I took tonight with the S2IS freehand out my front door with the optical + digital zoom and image stabilization...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD