Blu-ray is slowwww...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Blu-ray is slowwww...

Blu-ray is slowwww...

I just read that the new BD's are only burnable at 2X speeds. It takes me between five-six minutes to burn 4 gig of data at 16X, so the blu-ray will take about 45 minutes to do the same. And since the new high capacity BD's are 50 gig, it will take something like nine hours to burn a full BD-R.

I'm excited about the higher storage capacity of the BD-R's, but 2X burns? I think I'm going to wait and see what the second-generation devices can do

t-man
    A64 3500+
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Antec 480W Trupower II
    2 X Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT
    PNY 6800GT
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Plextor PX-716SA DVD/CD burner
    Memorex 52X CD reader
    Western Digital 300GB IDE
    Maxtor 300GBSATA
    Seagate 300GB SATA
    W2K Pro

CD Burners and DVD Burners burned slow too when they first came out.

I am sure it will get faster.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Hmm, it's wierd when it realting disk density to access speeds, but keep in mind that blu-ray and HD disks will have 10 times the capacity of a dual layer DVD. You can't really expect recorders for these new formats to be very fast since the equipment needs to be more precise. With such an increase in density, I'd imagine these burners will take a while to get faster. I'd hate to think of what a blu-ray burner will cost anyway. A 300gb USB HD will be cheaper and faster!

likely the burners will be $40 after a couple years. the discs will probably be $4 a piece

2X of what though? Are you sure that Blu-Ray uses the same speed scale as DVD? Don't know either way, just asking -- remember that 1X in a DVD drive is roughly the same data transfer rate as 16X in a CD drive.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_speed

How fast can you read/write data on a Blu-ray disc?

According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc. The large NA value effectively means that Blu-ray will require less recording power and lower disc rotation speed than DVD and HD-DVD to achieve the same data transfer rate. While the media itself limited the recording speed in the past, the only limiting factor for Blu-ray is the capacity of the hardware. If we assume a maximum disc rotation speed of 10,000 RPM, then 12x at the outer diameter should be possible (about 400Mbps). This is why the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) already has plans to raise the speed to 8x (288Mbps) or more in the future.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

will be interesting to see what format overall is better for data discs. this will include speed, error rates, general quality of the discs from their respective formats. the capacity we know is in blu-ray's hands....

lol this is the type of media supposed to be used in the playstation 3, slow speeds, that could mean slow loading times correct?

its sony, you can bet on it

One would hope that since they went back the drawing board on optical tech, that they would also improve access speeds along with increased density. I'd hope that HD and BluRay drives will make good use of SATA II.

hahah...it'll deffinetly cost sony some $$$ if it takes almost 10hrs to create a game
    [COLOR=black]
    apogee:maze4:mag3:BIX2:2x sanyo denki
    ASUS P5WD2 Premium
    Intel 920 @ 322x14 = 4.5ghz @ 1.5v stable (314x14 1.45v 24/7)
    2GB Corsair PRO DDR2
    7900gt @ 680/850
    74GB WD Raptor - 250GB Maxtor SATA 16mb cache
    XaserIII v2000a - 520w OCZ Powerstream
    2407fpw, 2x 2007fpw, 37" WS HDTV LCD
    "badonkadonk" - Junk in the trunk. Her badonkadonk made a brotha pop mad wheelies

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeOnTheTree
    One would hope that since they went back the drawing board on optical tech, that they would also improve access speeds along with increased density. I'd hope that HD and BluRay drives will make good use of SATA II.
    I read in a computer mag recently, they tested a BluRay drive and it used the IDE port. Yes it was only 1 drive and hope future models take advantage of SATA II.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Thread Information