New card + old pc = new psu or bad display?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: New card + old pc = new psu or bad display?

New card + old pc = new psu or bad display?

Hi. I have a few year old Dell Dimension 8250. it is 2.4ghz 512mb ram. came with nvidia geforce4 mx 420 64mb video card (agp 8x). needless to say the card is not spectacular. came with DELL M782p monitor. using windows xp sp2. i cannot determine my current psu but i am guesstimating it's is in the range of 200-300W with probably a bad 12v rating in amperes. anyway, its a guess. (if theres anything i left out that is necessary let me know)

So, i wanted to upgrade my video card. and i found that a sapphire ati x1300 256mb 8x would be a good fit. so i bought it. i installed drivers. i put in the new card. and lo and behold, something didnt work right. my display didnt turn on, saying theres no signal (theres a light on my monitor that is yellow when teh pc is off and green when its on. it was yellow when i turned pc on wiht new card). at this point i am unsure of whether it is the monitor's fault or my old psu's fault, or something else. is the monitor incompatible with the card or is the psu not giving enough power to the card? im leaning towards the latter. however, my video card's fan was working...does that mean there was enough power? or is the fan independent of the card's needed power (will it still turn if the card isnt getting enough?).

anyway, my real question is this: considering my situation, should i order Enermax EG365P-VE FMA from newegg or will i be needing a new monitor? if u can recommend a better psu with a nice 12v rating but under 50bucks i would rly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. i greatly appreciate your hep.

Well, there's some good, bad, and worse news in there.

The good news is, your hardware may not be the problem, as you went from an nVidia card to an ATI card. Sometimes drivers aren't totally uninstalled when you swap cards, so you might try this first. If you can get into safe mode with the X1300, then you are likely facing a driver issue. The bad news is that it might be difficult to uninstall the nVidia drivers, but I think there are some apps out there that will do just that.

The worse news is that you probably can't upgrade the power supply, since Dell uses a non-standard power supply. Either the motherboard plug will be different, or worse, the power supply won't be the correct size to mount into the case. It's very likely that you will either have to get a new PS from Dell or trash the system and build a new one. So hopefully you just have a driver issue!

well i took a closer look at my psu and it says its 250W with 12v max at 15A. i believe thats not enough for the card as its recommended W was over 350W. however, i tried you method in safe mode and the monitor didnt turn on, as i presumed. even more troubling is the news u have given me: that dell uses a non-standard power supply. this is bad if any other psu wont fit. i dont have much space for it, ive looked. what is the normal size of a psu?

edit: wow i looked at dell.com and i cant even buy any replacement psu. thats sad. i now see why ppl hate dell lol.
    Last edited by cBebop; May 7th, 2006 at 03:42 PM.

Yeah, many OEMs will use some propriatary parts to keep you from upgrading the system. You can try a standard power supply if you want to take the chance, but there's no guarantees. The non-standard power supplies have been out there for a long time. My friend's old Gateway P2 333mhz even has a non-standard PS. The connection to the motherboard is standard, though.

Another option you might have is to buy a new case and power supply and move all your components over into it. I don't know if your motherboard will fit, but you could take a chance if you don't want to spend money on a whole new system.

well thanks for all the help threeonthethree. i think i might just do that, get a new case and psu. but if u could do me a favor and measure your psu, it would be very helpful as i cant find any size measurements anywhere at newegg (probably because they are all standard sizes).

any suggestion for a good but pricey case? i unfortunately never built a pc before.
    Last edited by cBebop; May 7th, 2006 at 11:43 PM.

Hmm, well, I don't have a desktop to measure, just a notebook.

As for a case, the choices are endless. Here's one that might do the trick:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119068

It's very popular at newegg. You can get any PS you'd like to go with it as well.

Hi,
    Just found this thread on google and felt the need to reply...hope I'm not too late.

I've been building and repairing pcs for a while so I know a little. I just replaced a bad motherboard in a Dell Dimension 8250. EVERYTHING is proprietary. The power supply looks the same as a standard atx power supply, but the wiring is different. Upgrading the power supply with something other than a dell OR PC Power and Cooling unit will most certainly do some damage. A new case won't do anything either...because the motherboard mounting is also proprietary. The mounting tabs that are used to hold the heatsink in place have clips going directly through the motherboard, and into the motherboard mounting tray. That's right the motherboard is mounted on a tray, and the Input/Output Panel is connected to it, which also happens to not be a standard port layout.

Now the good news, as I mentioned...you can upgrade the power supply with a PC Power & Cooling unit.

If you look up your model here

You'll see that this unit will work, 410 watts and 23A +12V.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Thread Information