Just had another HD go out...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Just had another HD go out...

Just had another HD go out...

I just had an HD go out... this one was about 3 1/2 years old. How long do HD's usually last? I've been sticking to Western Digitals but now I am starting to wonder.

Oh damn dont say that. I just paid for a Raptor 74gb drive, newegg had a $30 rebate on them. I hate rebates but i was going to buy the drive anyway, the rebate just happened to be there.

Im not going to store vital info on it, but i do have a WD 250gb external drive that i store everything on. Ive only had it about 6 months, and it doesnt get powered up much. I hoping to have it last more then 3 years though. you should expext 10 years from good harddrives imo. they should last even longer then that, but it would be about the time i would consider a new one.

your drive must have had poor manufacturing, or it was under stress a lot.

ps- check with WD, it could be still under warrenty

Don't fear....I may be eating my words now. I finally got it to work by running it through the motherboard bios over and over while tilting it different angels untill the motherboard recognized it. So far, no problems. There's a short and I have to track it down. I'll be really mad if it is in the IDE cord because I spent $20.00 on a super fancy one made by CoolMaster. The Raptors have alot of good reviews...I was going to buy one myself.

If you gotta try different angles etc.. and its not the cable, then that hard disk is unreliable and should be rma'ed or binned after you get your data from it, sounds like a head problem and it'll only get worse.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

or ebay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime
    If you gotta try different angles etc.. and its not the cable, then that hard disk is unreliable and should be rma'ed or binned after you get your data from it, sounds like a head problem and it'll only get worse.

The hard drive has been working ever since I had to tilt and mess with it. I have it back in it's horizontal bay now with no problems. I used the WD diagnostics software and it found a bad sector and fixed it. What do you make of it? I can't see how it could of been a sector problem when, initially, the motherboard was physically not recognizeing it. Do you think the head could still be going out on it?

Thread Information