HDD/BIOS Password, Can't access system
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HDD/BIOS Password, Can't access system

Hybrid View

HDD/BIOS Password, Can't access system

Greetings,

I recently bought a Gateway Solo 9300 Laptop at auction. The thing was as-is and I have no support from them. Anyway I started the system and the only thing that happens is a get a couple of beeps, the system information displays, and I get to choose either F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup. If I choose F1 to continue the system goes to a blank screen with a blue box asking me for the Primary HDD Password. If I choose F2 and go into setup it asks me for a BIOS Password. I know niether of these passwords (possibly the same one). I disassembled the laptop and took out the CMOS battery for about 45 minutes to see if that would help. No luck. I am not sure if I should pull the battery again and leave it out for 24 hours. I don't even know if that would help. I can't get to the C: Drive at all nor will the system boot off of a floppy, so I can't get to the A: drive either in order to use a password retrieval program of some type. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What can I do if I forget my BIOS password on my notebook computer?

A:

When you created the BIOS password, you were prompted to create a backup floppy disk that enables you to enter the BIOS Setup utility in the event you forget your password or need to clear it. If you did not elect this option when instructed and do not have the password, the only way to clear the BIOS password is to have the computer sent in for out-of-warranty service.

"I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The security is very tight on laptops to stop theft etc.

The best thing to do is contact the person who sold it to you and see if they have the password or it will cost you to have it fixed.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

It might be a stolen laptop if its sold 'as is' since the seller may not have been able to get it going. If they cannot provide you with such details (if its legit the details must be available surely somewhere along the sale chain before it got to you) then suspect something amiss.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Thread Information