Power supplies to avoid/generics - Page 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power supplies to avoid/generics

The Antec Smartpowers and TruePowers are made by CWT, Channel Well Technology. The Earthwatts are made by Seasonic.

I wouldn't call CWT a generic. I came across one in an old PII tower and it was made with the same care as the CWT Antecs.
    Last edited by DanceMan; October 15th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.

Corsair's VX550 is made by Channel Well and got very good reviews

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Antec's CWT psu's have had reliability problems in recent years, but I'd expect them to have this sorted by now. Still, if I were buying new, I'd be inclined to choose another in this price range, like Fortron.

My Antec smartpower has been going for 3 years and still working. Thinking of buying a Antec or Silverstone for next psu.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

I'd be inclined to look for one built by Seasonic. Antec Earthwatts, Corsair VX450W, and many others are actually built by Seasonic. I just read a review on the Corsair mentioned. Silverstones have been well reviewed.

With the multiple manufacturers providing for Antec at different times and for different models,
    I can't be bothered looking for the actual manufacturer anymore.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Another PSU to be avoided - 'Thame Star". When I looked up the UL Listing Numer E203196 I got DEER Computer Company - already listed as one to be avoided!

Impostors

I took delivery of two DELTA power supplies, thinking they were by Delta Electronics (good). They were labelled Delta Power and while they had the RU and CSA symbols, there were no listing numbers. So two fake power supplies masquerading as the real deal. I returned them and will not patronize that seller again.

PowMax is definately trash. I had over a dozen of those go out.

Antec and Raidmax have always served me well. Never had a single one go out. Though just recently I had an issue with my Asus A7n8x-x board and Antec SL400 400Watt SmartPower unit. (http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...=180313&page=2) Cant say which is the culprit yet.

I just purchased an Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000Watt unit for a build. I especially love the modular design and protection features. Ive read a lot of positive feedback on the unit so im hoping it works great.

I "restored" an older Athlon 2100+ computer for my step-sister last year. The system has a 350W Antec SmartPower in it.

Everything went fine until a few weeks ago, when she called me because the system was "making noise", without being more specific. Thinking it was simply a fan grinding, I went there to check and to my surprise, the noise was short chirping beeps and happened when the system was in standby. Then, I remembered that the GPU cooler was hooked to a fan speed control (a generic Fanmate knockoff) with a piezo in it, emitting a loud beep if the fan spins too slow.

Turned out that after a few seconds after entering standby, the system goes zombie and tries to restart, but with the fans slowly spinning and the HDD light blinking. Of course the piezo in the controller went wild, doing short loud beeps. I took it home, and at first it didn't do anything special, then after a few days (building up electricity in the PSU, I guess), it started to do it again. Whipped up the multimeter, measured the 12V rail of a molex connector, and it read close to 5V When the system was on, everything (voltages and stability) was fine.

Also, when trying the PSU in another system it didn't "zombie-restart" in standby, but the PSU started emitting a faint but clearly audible high-pitched squeal. It squealed ever since, always in standby.

Being an older CWT-based Antec, and remembering a standby squealing PSU from a JonnyGuru article, I was strongly expecting bad caps at this stage. I open it and of course, 3 bulging (but not leaking) Fuhjyyus stare back at me That's my first defective Antec ever, not counting a True 380S with a clicking fan that came with my Sonata. Hopefully nothing else is damaged...

I just ordered a 350W Fortron from DirectCanada as a replacement. I have an older fan-swapped FSP in my secondary system running 24/7, no problems at all.
    Last edited by equinoxe3d; June 1st, 2008 at 10:34 PM.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Quote Originally Posted by equinoxe3d View Post
    I just ordered a 350W Fortron from DirectCanada as a replacement. I have an older fan-swapped FSP in my secondary system running 24/7, no problems at all.
    A small refresh: both of those still work fine in their respective systems, but you might want to steer clear of the higher-wattage Epsilon-based FSPs, at least for now

Seasonic PSUs are very good PSUs. Our engineer hooked up the scope to measure the voltage between the Seasonic and the Seventeam PSUs, and the Seasonic PSUs delivered (more) stable voltage than the Seventeam. We're running proprietary hardware and switching PSUs made a huge difference.

PS: I haven't been around here in ages!
    "Money does grow on trees, but the banks own all the branches."

Phenom 9550 Quad Core
    8GB Kingston HyperX
    ASUS M3A78
    LG GH22NS30
    Seagate 320GB (boot)
    WDC RE3 500GB x2 on Highpoint RocketRAID 3120 with RAID1
    Sapphire 4830
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G
    CoolerMaster RC-690

I have one you ought to add; the Chiefmax line are just overrated crap IMHO. The tests I've read say they cannot deliver anything close to what they advertise and the failure rate is phenomenal. They at least have never taken out any hardware with them that I have seen and I guess that is why my old boss likes them; cheap easy fix and at least the customers "safe", but it seems ethically questionable to me.

The Bestec 300W that so many OEMs used and that they still sell some places, might as well have been engineered to kill motherboards, I have seen so many dead ones, but from what I read the other models are not so bad and it is just some bad caps inside, but otherwise not a bad unit, but I don't think they sell any except the OEMs replacing ones for too much money with OEM stuff. I guess it's like a lot of things, just because a bad batch was mass produced doesn't necessarily indicate bad workmanship from the company, but I always replace those no matter what the model just out of paranoia.

Added FSP Raider 750 to the list.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I recently got a Coolermaster PSU (can't remember the model) and connected it to an Asus P5G41T. The CPU fan would turn on for a couple of seconds, then off again (PSUvoltage set correclty). I then connected and old Powerman (Inwin) PSU, using a 20-pin to 24-pin power connector and the system booted. I had the bare minimum connected to the motherboard for troubleshooting.

I took it back to the store and they tested it and told me the PSU was good. I got an exchange for an Enermax PSU, which worked fine.

Please beware of incompatibility issues.
    "Money does grow on trees, but the banks own all the branches."

Phenom 9550 Quad Core
    8GB Kingston HyperX
    ASUS M3A78
    LG GH22NS30
    Seagate 320GB (boot)
    WDC RE3 500GB x2 on Highpoint RocketRAID 3120 with RAID1
    Sapphire 4830
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G
    CoolerMaster RC-690

Thread Information