Intel promotes notebook component interchangeablility
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Intel promotes notebook component interchangeablility

Hybrid View

Intel promotes notebook component interchangeablility

DailyTech story here.
    This is great news for we enthusaists and tinkerers. If the concept takes hold in the marketplace in at least a portion of the the offerings of a few major notebook marketers like Acer or HP, our future will be brighter. I'm not thinking so much about upgrading, in particular of cpus and video where there are heat and cooling considerations, but of keeping a unit working when a component like a cd drive bites the dust. It opens up the possiblilty of parts swapping.
    As an example, someone I work with occasionally has a 2 year old notebook parked after a young child ran over the open cd drawer. Finding a replacement at a price that makes the repair cost efficient against the cost of a new budget model is the issue.

Yeah, I agree... but I do like the idea of hacing more of an upgrade path as well. When you find a chassis/keyboard/screen you really LIKE, it's sort of hard to part with them just because the CPU/Mobo/GPU/Hdd are all way past their prime. Particularly the screens... since although LCDs have gotten CHEAPER in the last two years, they haven't gotten appreciably bright, or higher defininition.
    We all Think Different too.

Thread Information