Which Console To I Get?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which Console To I Get?

Which Console To I Get?

As many of you know, I am not much of a gamer and would really like to play my games ona PS2/3, XBox or whatever other gaming consoles are out there. What's the most versatile console to buy? I am definitely going to want to play:

Tomb Raider
    Need For Speed
    MX vs. ATV

What's the best option for me? The only thing that turning me towards the PS2 is that the controller just feels perfectly right in your hands.

Thanks one and all.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ive never been a fan of the Xbox, but it does have some REALLY good games. And it does have noticably better graphics.
    PS2 has died. I rarely see commercials for it. Or new good games. And Xbox live is pretty popular for gaming online.
    In this situation Id go with the Xbox. If you want to you can wait for the PS3 and see if its any good.
    Xboxs are pretty cheap today so it wont be a huge cut out of your budget.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Thanks a million for your reply... is there anyone else here who think that I should go for something other than the XBox?
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox
    Thanks a million for your reply... is there anyone else here who think that I should go for something other than the XBox?

Original nintendo!! Who couldnt love the 16 color graphics!
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Playstation 2 dead? Nah, sony still is behind it since it's going to be probably another 7 more months before the the PS3 comes out. Looking at this list http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/newitems.asp for PS2 and Xbox releases over the next 2 months the PS2 is getting 55 titles released and the Xbox is getting 36. Everything is cross platform now anyways, the PS2 still has the largest share of the market out of the three, and 8 out the 10 top selling games in the U.S. last year were on the PS2, developers aren't going to stop making games for the PS2 for a long time.

Now, that being said it's not really about what new games are coming out for either of these aging systems. Microsoft has already put out it's new console and both Sony and Nintendo will follow suite in the next year. For me when buying a console it's always been about what games are on the system that I want to play, all three of those games you have listed are going to be on both the Xbox and the PS2. If I were to go with either console based on those games I would go with the Xbox, because it's going to look a lot better and not struggle with slowdown that you sometime get with the PS2.
    Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal ~Einstein

Well, I have an Xbox, and I like it for the most part. I'm currently evaluating Xbox Live (free trial), and I'm not sure about it yet. Online play can get pretty frustrating. In Halo2, I keep getting kicked out of games, as I think some of the players get pretty full of themselves. If you don't play as good as them, they don't want you around, I guess. It's also not much of a treat having the kids chatting with their headsets, but fortunately that can be muted. As for other Live-enabled games, I can't seem to get into them. I don't have that many live games, so I guess we'll see.

That settles it... XBox it is. Now, what the difference between the normal Xbox and the 360?

Sorry... I'm lazy to research on my own.

About 5 years, and several hundred dollars. The Xbox has been around for a long time, the Xbox 360 is months old.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I still go for PS2 since some good games are released on this platform. With PS3 coming in Nov this year, I will still go for it.
    Really enjoyed Silent Hill, Ace Combat, Onimusha and Metal Gear etc....

I still don;t know what I'm going to get... what I'm going to do is get whatever available version of Tomb Raider there is and buy the console that has it. The game is more important than the console itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox
    I still don;t know what I'm going to get... what I'm going to do is get whatever available version of Tomb Raider there is and buy the console that has it. The game is more important than the console itself.

It will be available in XBOX, XBOX 360 and PS2.

And of course DVD in the PC Verson.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I suggest buy all the consoles plus the pc dvd
    Some games might not be available to some consoles such as Metal Gear that is exclusive to PS2 and PS3.

Thread Information