WHAT IS REALLY THE TRUTH??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: WHAT IS REALLY THE TRUTH??

WHAT IS REALLY THE TRUTH??

I BOUGHT A VIPER 550 TNT AGP THAT ARRIVES THIS WEEK, MY SYSTEM IS A BOARD ASUS P5A + AMD K6-2 400. THEY HAD SAID THAT WORKS GOOD, BUT NOW SAID THAT HAVE SOMA PROBLEMS.

WHAT IS REALLY THE TRUTH???

I MADE A GOODSWAP OR NOT? THE OLDER IS A VIPER 330 PCI. h
    I HAVE THE MONSTER 3D II 8 MB TOO

THANKS
    MENDES FROM PORTUGAL
    joao

Yes there can be some problems: RivaTNT performs best on high-performance PCs - It prefer to run on an Intel Pentium II 400+ class computer.

However you can not feel the difference under normal use, but when comparing results from an AMD 400MHz against an Intel Pentium II 450MHz (Both with 128MB of RAM and a RivaTNT card) there will be a difference of 10%.

Hope this can help you,
    Kristian H. Andersen
    KHA@KACHardware.dk
    http://www.kachardware.dk

Ummmm im not so sure what u mean when u say "high performance pcs".....if a pentium II running at 450mHz can only yield a speed difference of 10% over an AMD running at 400 I'd say AMD is a much better system ...wouldn't u?....ahem...
    Tim England

Sorry: I wrote an Intel Pentium II 450MHz instead of a Intel Pentium 350MHz. It is simply not fair to compare an AMD K6-2 400MHz against an Intel Pentium II 450MHz: Hope you will agree in this...

Kristian

My friend had a K62-400 with a generic Ali Alladin board, along with an AGP Viper V550 and he had nothing but trouble. Direct3d ran fine, but OpenGL would crash whenever the game resolution was different from the desktop resolution. He got a "patch" from Ali's website that was supposed to "fix" the problem with the Agp slot. It fixed the original problem, but after installing the patch, Quake II would crash everytime he tried to switch levels. He finally took the computer back and got a PII, and everything works fine now.

ASUS claims that the P5A is compatible with all AGP TNT cards, so you hopefully won't have too much trouble, except you will probably need to download an update or two. Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Supose that i have troubles with tha viper on that boar and i swap to a PII, should i get the PII 350 or 400 or wait for a PIII(i think this processor is not diferent for the others except the new instrucions ).
    Here in Portugal the prices are a little expensive in dollars a PII 450 cust about 650 dollars and 400 is 472 dollars.

what are your opinion ????

Mendes
    joao

It depends what revision of motherboard you have. the earlier ALI motherboards had heaps of bugs, but since you have a K6-2 400 it should be a new revision of mb as well. Install the latest drivers and patches and see how you go.

I am running a Viper 550 on K6-2 350/AOpen AX59Pro with no problems at all. AX59 uses the MVP3 chipset from VIA as opposed to the Ali Aladdin that the Asus board uses.

If you do decide to go with a Slot 1 solution, I would recommend getting a Celeron processor instead of a Pentium II. They perform almost exactly the same as PII for 1/3-1/6 the price. The Pentium III is a total hoax. It's nothing but a PII with some extra instructions. They should have called it PII KNI or something like that.

PII KNI isn't hyping it enough. Intel is one of the best at hyping things, that's why they boast about the PSN improving the internet experience on the side of buses, come up with a fancy fresh logo for the PIII and some slogan involving an ajar door which i didn't even bother to read because i knew it would just make me puke.

If intel called it the PII KNI it wouldn't sell any that's for sure. People are gullible enough that they believe the PIII is vastly superior to the PII. Given proper naming convention I would have called it the Pentium 2.5 or something - improvement on P-2 but not a huge revolution.

Thread Information