New Job Help... smart home installation
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: New Job Help... smart home installation

New Job Help... smart home installation

I have been recently thinking of getting out of wiring houses. at least doing the actual electrical part.

I have always been interested in home automation, audio distribution, video and so on. I figure this would be a job i would be indoors much more of the time, and i could also learn a vast amount of useable stuff for myself too. i hope to someday build a house so it would be nice to know anyway.

From what my union tells me, the communications section is pretty thin on work, as most of it is either non-union or handled by regular electrical shops.

So i was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of schooling that would be ideal to get my feet wet. Its not going to be a huge transition for me, ive been running wires in houses for almost 5 years. I guess im just saying i would like to do this outside the union and wondering what would be the best place to look beside local shops (which i may just do)

thanks for any help.

for telecommunications the best training you can do is BICSI. As far as the residential side there are many products out there and going through some training for what you plan to install is always a huge plus. But if you want to start somewhere start with the BICSI Installer Level 1 course. There is a huge market for experienced telecom out there. The industry has made alot of leaps and bounds and the old ways of wiring (put it in and hope it works) just doesn't fly anymore. ELectricians still do a good portion of the low voltage on the residential side but industry standards are in place and strict guidleines will soon put a stop to that unless these elctrical contractors plan to start officialy training there helpers. I've been installing for going on 8 years now and depending on where your located depends on the business available to you. it's a growing industry and more and more electricians are jumping over to the telecom side. I just recently started my own business with in the last 6 months. If you know your stuff you'll do just fine.
    Athlon 64 4000 san diego, zalman 7700, Asus A8N32-SLI Deleuxe, XFX 7800 GT, 2x 1g corsair xms pc4000, 2X512 munshkin pc4400, samsung spinpoint sata 200g , plextor 712-sa, seasonic s12 500w, Lian Li V1000 modded, Firefly PC remote, Logitech MX1000, Logitech Z-5450, Sony KLV-S26A10 LCD TV

damn ive you lived out west id come work with you. Thats been my main problem wiring houses, im bored. its too easy, well the work is hard but its not complicated.

thanks for the info ill start digging more. i plan to work on my own someday, i figure i would have more fun installing high-tech stuff rather then crummy romex.

there's plenth to read up on. things start really getting interesting when you start messing with fiber optics. word of advice. it's not a feild to get into if you don't have patience for problem solving. it ain't rocket science but it can be a challenge at times. also if you get in with a good contractor that does alot of goverment work and you get yourself a clearance you'll never be out of work. telecom can be repetitive to unfortunatley especialy on large projects where you spend months pulling in all the cable.good luck to you and if you have any questions about stuff your reading or learning feel free to hit me up.
    Athlon 64 4000 san diego, zalman 7700, Asus A8N32-SLI Deleuxe, XFX 7800 GT, 2x 1g corsair xms pc4000, 2X512 munshkin pc4400, samsung spinpoint sata 200g , plextor 712-sa, seasonic s12 500w, Lian Li V1000 modded, Firefly PC remote, Logitech MX1000, Logitech Z-5450, Sony KLV-S26A10 LCD TV

thanks again. i still dont quite know yet if i want to go into the commerical electrical side or telecom branch yet, but im leaning on telecom just because of the technology in it today. i think i would have a lot more fun playing with high tech video systems and stuff rather then million volt electric chairs. easier too, i use more body then brain right now at my job, its really not how i see my self reaching retirement.

Thread Information