I HATE COMPUTERS
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I HATE COMPUTERS

I HATE COMPUTERS

I have the s3 trio 1 mb pci chipset on my motherboard when I Disable the intergrated video card and install a S3 Virge 3mb pci card my monitor will begain to flash on and off for a while then stop then resume flashing. What is the problem I have asked hundreds of people and know on knows not even packard bell. Which bu the way a computer I will never ever buy again.

thanks mike

Me too (hate Computers)... Next Time stay away from itergrated...Build your own.

------------------
    Esq.
    Team www.AnandTech.com

what you need to do is go into properties and look at the refresh rate. change it to somthing else other then what it is on...that will fix it

You're not going to be able to change the refresh rate in Windows if you can't get the system to boot (duh) Sounds like a hardware conflict. If you can't resolve it, you might want to try getting a better system. 3mb Pci card isn't a lot better than what you had.

He never said it wouldn't boot. The question is whether he can get into safe mode and change his refresh rate. But if his sytem is doing this lng before that...like at the POST stage of boot up...well then he has a more serious problem.
    Tim England

In response to Esquire.

I hate computers, man do I hate computers.

My friend has a 200mhz MMX. He's found it nearly impossible to upgrade anything. I built my own system but sometimes I regret it. Installing Windows98 made me empathize with those disgruntled postal workers you hear about. Partitioning, formatting, repartitioning, reformatting the hard drive necessitated me to get padded walls.

I'm wrestling with IRQs now. I'm now on Prozac (ok maybe I'm exaggerating). Anyway, I sometimes wish I just got configured a Dell and was done with it.

Anyway f12, I can't help you with your concern but I feel for you.

Re-enable your built-in card.
    Does the PC work now ? (If it doesn't then Oops)
    If so, set the graphics card driver to standard VGA and restart.
    If the PC works OK then disable the inbuilt card and add your new card. When asked for a driver, select the standard VGA again.
    If nothing works then your new card is u/s.
    If it's all working now, change the graphics card driver to the one for the card. Make sure you are using the latest S3 Virge drivers from the S3 site.
    If this doesn't work I dunno.
    I went through this when building my father-in-law's PC based on an AST P100 with a built-in SiS graphics card. Seemed to work.
    Hope that's a help. Good luck.

Where on earth did you get a 3Mb card from? and why are you upgrading to an S3 Virge? Save yourself time and effort, chuck the virge off the nearest towerblock and buy something worth having. I've only just got rid of my Virge DX 2Mb, and man was it slow. replacing it has actually boosted my processor score.

This is my advice:

S3 are the Vermin of the universe.
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

You only say that because their solution is slow as crap now. But think back to a time...winter 1996...when the only REAL 3d you could get with notable features was a Voodoo Graphics (for $300+) or a Rendition v1000 combo card (for about $200+). S3 offered decent 3d and some features for an affordable price at the time. They made the 4mb video card affordable. *Sigh* then the ram markets took a plunge. The Voodoo Graphics and Rendition v1000, both using 4mb high-quality ram, plunged in price, and S3 could no longer compete. Its still not a bad 2d card, and I highly doubt its all that processor dependent.
    This signature space FOR SALE

Thread Information