UK and US...same atmosphere?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: UK and US...same atmosphere?

UK and US...same atmosphere?

Hey humor (humour) a Yank here....

Since Sir Anthony and Dubya have become the world's saviors , I was wondering if you guys in the UK have noticed/felt a change in atmosphere - the US used to be a place where being a Patriot didn't require blind faith, a flag in your yard, and a ribbon magnet on your car; rather, it meant you had a duty to questioned your gov't - keep them in the light.
    Freedom meant you could "speak freely", but if one questions this administration, you're "anti-American". In a free land - a melting pot of ideas, faiths, cultures, and races how could such a word even exist. Civil liberties are being encroached upon and if you say so, you're paranoid or you're helping the terrorists, etc...
    Wire tapping without warrants, detainment without cause, and subpoenas for Yahoo, MSN, and google (only google said NO - and if they hadn't we wouldn't know of this 'big brother' crap) - what happening?

So, after my rant (sorry) is the UK getting this way? I've ben to Europe several times and loved the visible, touchable history, the warm people and exploring my heritage. I'm no Anglophile, but I've always thought that a young Country like the US could learn from countries like England.

Crap, I hope this doesn't sound a whiney and paranoid as I fear
    "I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's" -William Blake, circa 1804

CM Stacker RC-832
    PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad
    EVGA 780i
    E8400 Wolfy OC'd to 3.5GHz
    Zalman 9700 cooler
    Dominator 8500C5D (4x1G)
    WD Raptor 150G x2 striped
    WD Caviar 250G x2
    WD Caviar 500G
    Sony SATA DVD-RW
    SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    2 x EVGA 8800GTX SLi
    Vista Home Premium 64bit

It's really more about those who are in power want more control over the masses and will do just about anything to get it.

It has been going on sense man has been on this earth and not likely to change ever.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I'm with jankerson. Substitute Communist for Terrorist and you have the 1950's, with Joe McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee.
    The McCarthys and the Cheneys need to create enemies and fear so that people won't ask too many questions.

hmm without trying to start an argument, i do somewhat agree but i don't feel the lack of patriotism comes from questioning things but the manner in how you do it. attitude and how you say things and how you focus your anger and frustration can easily be perceived as anti patriotic. working in dc every day allows me the wonerfull priviledge of seeing the fanatics on a daily basis. mainly it's the college students who put a sour taste in my mouth about it. it almost seems like anymore people are protesting just for the sake of protesting. and without putting my foot in my mouth with this next statement but honestly think about this. If the majority of the people in this country got to have things ran and done the way they wanted do you really think that would be smart. do most people really know all the info and know whats best for this country. there are some that do there research and are well educated and don't base everything they believe off the news but the majority don't. so what do you do. do you do what the people want or what the goverment wants. it depends on if the person in charge is a real leader or just a public image. me i;d rather have a leader than a pacifist.
    Athlon 64 4000 san diego, zalman 7700, Asus A8N32-SLI Deleuxe, XFX 7800 GT, 2x 1g corsair xms pc4000, 2X512 munshkin pc4400, samsung spinpoint sata 200g , plextor 712-sa, seasonic s12 500w, Lian Li V1000 modded, Firefly PC remote, Logitech MX1000, Logitech Z-5450, Sony KLV-S26A10 LCD TV

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    I'm with jankerson. Substitute Communist for Terrorist and you have the 1950's, with Joe McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee.
    The McCarthys and the Cheneys need to create enemies and fear so that people won't ask too many questions.

The whole thing is ment to take the focus off what is really going on and what they are trying to do to all of us.

More and more of our freedoms are taken away every year by the so called "We know what is best for all of you" Politicians.

While they put the public's focus on minor things (They make them seem like a big deal) the major issues at hand are missed by the majority and just keep getting bigger and bigger every year.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

nelsoncp21,

I hear you, I lived In Maryland until 1995 and I agree DC is a complete joke.

I hated going down there because I couldn't stand being that close to the Federal Government and all the Wacked out people...

I saw protesters when I went to DC a lot and would just shake my head thinking "Don't they have anything better to do rather than protest something that really doesn't matter?".

And yes most are College People that really don't have a real clue about life yet or what is really going on. In their defense there are Wacked out Political groups on campus that stir them up. Fanatics who really don't have a life in general.

you've got a point...

...you just described two kinds of gov't: democracy and fascism.
    With democracy comes the annoying burden of listening to the loud, uneducated, ill-informed and the plain stupid, because they (are supposed to) have as much say as those "who know what's best for them" .
    In my time in DC, I've noticed those protesters - maybe we could hook 'em up to one huge gerbil wheel to expend their energy and solve the energy crisis in one fail swoop . You're dead right about most not taking the time to educate themselves about issues - we'll never get that to happen, but we should expect free, unfettered access to such information, not skulking secrecy.

btw - I really like DC, but then again, I'm only exposed for about 3-4 days at a time (like poison in small dosages=a good high)
    "I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's" -William Blake, circa 1804

CM Stacker RC-832
    PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad
    EVGA 780i
    E8400 Wolfy OC'd to 3.5GHz
    Zalman 9700 cooler
    Dominator 8500C5D (4x1G)
    WD Raptor 150G x2 striped
    WD Caviar 250G x2
    WD Caviar 500G
    Sony SATA DVD-RW
    SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    2 x EVGA 8800GTX SLi
    Vista Home Premium 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Kaman
    ... In my time in DC, I've noticed those protesters - maybe we could hook 'em up to one huge gerbil wheel to expend their energy and solve the energy crisis in one fail swoop .
    They really need to do something with them, that sounds like a good idea.

Throw in the Special Interest groups and we could solve the World energy problems....

i thought about running them over with my truck but that would probally just spark more protests. i like the jerbal wheel idea. all things considered i like dc alot, it is a very beatiful city, well some parts but major problems being associated with people like traffic, protests, religous fanatics, meter maids. maybe i just don't like peolpe in general and need to move to the sticks. but all joping aside, even though we have our many problems this is a great country, and i wouldn't choose to live anywhere else. we are very fortunate. The main problem with this country bulls down to the attitude of the people. unfortuantely the only way i see that changing is with a great depression and than people would appreciate more and actually work more than they complain. I've said my peace though.
    Athlon 64 4000 san diego, zalman 7700, Asus A8N32-SLI Deleuxe, XFX 7800 GT, 2x 1g corsair xms pc4000, 2X512 munshkin pc4400, samsung spinpoint sata 200g , plextor 712-sa, seasonic s12 500w, Lian Li V1000 modded, Firefly PC remote, Logitech MX1000, Logitech Z-5450, Sony KLV-S26A10 LCD TV

Thread Information