Hard Drive Data Recovery
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard Drive Data Recovery

Hard Drive Data Recovery

A guy who fixes electronics and computers came into my shop today and was telling me about how can recover data. He once sent out a hard drive that was dead to a service that cost 1500$ and when he got it back he asked how they did it. They told him they increased the voltage comming into the hard drive from 5v to 5.3 and it gives them ONE chance to grab data. He said he figured out how to do it and now can offer the same service for 700$.

I was wondering if this is really possible and if so how?

Sounds like absolute BS.

That does sound like BS... but, the freezer tricke sounded like BS until I used it!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Flannel
    That does sound like BS... but, the freezer tricke sounded like BS until I used it!

True, but then I am not buying this one.

I bet they opened up the drive and removed the Platters and put them into their machine and got the data like they usually do.

There is a reason why data recovery costs a ton of money, it's the equipment that is need costs a fortune.

That is also the reason why they drill holes through the Drives when they are RMAed before they trash them.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

what Im wondering is, what is the 5v in on the HDD used for ? Conventional wisdom says the stepper motor. In which case I can see no benefit from increasing the voltage.

Correct me if Im wrong, but doesn't the act of opening the HDD expose the platters to too much dust and keep the read/write heads from being able to 'skim' the surface ?

Keep in mind, the guy could just be using standard 'un-delete' software to charge an arm and leg.
    1) TravelMate 4002LCi Intel Pentium M 725 Processor 1.6Ghz, 400 Mhz FSB, 2MB L2 cache, 256 DDR, 802.11b/g wireless LAN
    2) Mac TigerX OS - G5

Clean room with air control.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information