Strike one for Lenovo?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Strike one for Lenovo?

Strike one for Lenovo?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1817

Apparently, their first independent Thinkpad designs aren't selling very well. This surprises me, since they look like very nice products. I guess corporations don't like buying employees widescreen notebooks. I guess they're just not projector friendly?

I think most people know they are not made by IBM anymore and that IBM closed it's plant and sold off their Laptop divison putting over 1,500 Americans out of work and another 500+ here in RTP.

Personally I will never buy one or anything else from them or IBM for that matter.

I don't care if they were the best product on the market, I still wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson
    I don't care if they were the best product on the market, I still wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
    It was ten years ago, but my first laptop was a ThinkPad. I was just fascinated with the engineering, which frankly was brilliant. And I still like to think that IBM engineering is the best around. However, I am not sure that is a justified conclusion any more. Competition is brutal, and other companies make fine machines, without a 20% price premium (or thereabouts). Plus warranty-my Thinkpad ultimately died an untimely death after two motherboard replacements within its one-year warranty. Some companies for business machines offer three years on the standard warranty these days (like my current HP), and that is awfully hard to beat. I like the notion that my machine will have a factory warranty that will last that long, and that if it comes down to it, I can get the machine fixed without worry that the cost will exceed its value.

I've had two thinkpads... loved them both. I'm holding off judgement on Lenovo, though. Probably, like any buyout of a high-end product by a mainstream company, the brand will quickly cease to command higher prices, and as a result the design (which was ALWAYS what you paid for in a Thinkpad), will suffer. I predict that withing 2 years Thinkpads will be the same price as everything else... as well as the same weight, performance, and overall quality.
    We all Think Different too.

Was shopping around for laptops in the last few weeks on behalf of others,
    I looked at the Lenovo's (really liked IBM's red trackball) but price was still at a premium.
    Hence they were dropped from consideration.
    They don't appear to have any real sales either.

Pointed them to Dell, during their sales.
    One arrived perfectly fine, with the exception of all the bloatware I had to remove.
    The other,
    Well, I spent about an hour on the phone yesterday making arrangements for a new replacement.
    Battery and/or mobo appears to be defective.
    Has problems of all sorts when attempting to boot off the battery. Would not even get past POST at times...
    I generally expect a laptop to last more than five days!
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I haven't bought a new IBM in years but as far as I know, they are bullet-proof. When I first built my company, I bought all my employees IBM Thinkpad's and all of them are still working well. This is when the Centrino was first released. I have personally owned a Fujitsu, Toshiba and Acer since then and I am just about ready to get another Thinkpad... the Z60m and have been doing research and I haven't found anything wrong with them thus far.

This thread is making me think though. If it isn't the Z60m, I will be forced to get something else and I am not too comfortable with that.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

my 1.13ghz P3 thinkpad had a built in keyboard light.. it was so awsome
    Worlds Loudest Subwoofers.... Nasa technology..
    They sound Great (they also make studio equipment)

-= Digital Designs =-

Disclosure Project

The movement to end the coverup of advanced tech -see Scaler Waves

Yeah, powerbooks/macbookpros have a backlit keyboard. I'm surprised we don't see the option more on high-end notebooks.

backlit keyboard is nice too.. but this was on the top of the display pointing down at the keyboard.. so you could use it for other things where a backlit keyboard just the keys glow

it looks like the lenovo keeps this feature

Work in low-light conditions with the ThinkLight™ keyboard light. Located on the top edge of the display, this tiny LED illuminates your keyboard to let you keep working. ThinkPad notebooks are the only notebook family with the ThinkLight keyboard light.
    wow.. thinkvantage, thinklight, thinkthis, thinkthat.. they are doing too much thinking
    Worlds Loudest Subwoofers.... Nasa technology..
    They sound Great (they also make studio equipment)

-= Digital Designs =-

Disclosure Project

The movement to end the coverup of advanced tech -see Scaler Waves

They had that since the x-20, 600mhz. I can't see them doing away with it, as it costs nothing. Just a tiny LED attached to the video cable.
    You can talk about "that" here

Remember that guy your mom warned you about? I beat the snot outta him.

The new one I am going for will probably be the Z60T widescreen... a fairly simple one since I have ll the computin power on my desktop anyway.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thread Information