Laptop problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Laptop problem

Hybrid View

Laptop problem

I was chatting with my gf when all of a sudden I get this HUGE shock on my lip from my headphone/mic combo. Now my comp freezes when I put my wireless G card in the slot...Did I fry the card or did I screw up the slot?

New card still freezes system...must be the slot
    Last edited by Headst1r; February 27th, 2006 at 07:40 PM.
    Q6600 @3.2 | Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo | 24" BenQ LCD | 6 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 RAM| 750 GB WD HDD/250GB Hitachi Hdd | PC Power and cooling 610Watt PS | Sapphire 4870 1GB | Logitec 5.1 surrond sound speakers w/subwoofer z-560 | |

E4500 | 2 GB Crucial Tracer PC6400 Ram| MSI Geforce 8600GT| GIGABYTE Intel P35 | 19 BenQ" LCD | 160 GB WD HDD

I've actually had a few static shocks on some notebooks I've used. So far, I've never killed one in this way. I think quite a bit of it has to do with wireless cards, since my iBook never zapped me until I installed the wireless card. Hopefully you didn't ruin the slot, but if a new card isn't helping, it doesn't sound good.

Can you try the card on another computer to make sure it still works?
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Tried a new card with no luck. Called dell and they are sending me a box for me to send it in for repair. The guy talked to the technician and he said they will have to replace the mobo. Seems like the shock foirst knocked out the mic/headphone port and knocked out the wireless port as well.

It was a pretty big shock too. The headset/mic combo has the mic that comes down to your mouth. It delivered a pretty nasty shock to my lip, enough that it made me take off the headset and pretty much toss it to the floor. I have never had that happen before. Good thing dell usually gets my laptop back to me quick
    Q6600 @3.2 | Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo | 24" BenQ LCD | 6 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 RAM| 750 GB WD HDD/250GB Hitachi Hdd | PC Power and cooling 610Watt PS | Sapphire 4870 1GB | Logitec 5.1 surrond sound speakers w/subwoofer z-560 | |

E4500 | 2 GB Crucial Tracer PC6400 Ram| MSI Geforce 8600GT| GIGABYTE Intel P35 | 19 BenQ" LCD | 160 GB WD HDD

Thread Information