Replacing CD/DVD combo writer drive for laptop.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Replacing CD/DVD combo writer drive for laptop.

Exclamation Replacing CD/DVD combo writer drive for laptop.

So yeah, I've been comissioned to fix a dell Inspirion 5150. Yaknow, the dell laptops well know for their cheap *** cd drives that have the reputation of dying or breaking 1 year after the computer is built.

Well, that's my problem. I've searched everywhere. Even newegg.com does not carry a CD and DVD burner/reader that will fit in a Inspirion 5150.

and Despite this being a dell. It's a pretty good setup. I'd hate to have to shave down another drive to make it fit. (I doubt my client will like to see a cut cd drive smashed into her laptop with duct tape everywere)

Were can I get a compatible combo drive for this laptop. Oh, the better it is the better. If you know what I mean.

Check HERE

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Thanks. I was kinda looking for an alternative to Dell products, but I didn't state that as above.

As far as I know, if dell builds their computers like they do their printers, then I'm screwed.

For the dell all in one printers, they just add a small plastic knob on their in loader to keep you from using the MUCH cheaper Lexmark 82 and 83 cartridges and force you to buy the dell cartridges.

Anyway, thanks. I'll bookmark this site as a backup.

I haven't heard of Dell Drives breaking after one year.

They did however get in a bad batch of NEC drives and had to replace a lot of those.

That 5150 is a lot older than one year, my 5160 is over a year old and I got one of the last new ones of them before they discontinued that model and replaced it with the 6000.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I'd like to know where one can get the raw drives for a notebook. A friend at work has a Toshiba that his kid stepped on when the drive tray was open.
    With the old drive to scavenge the plastic face plate and any connector modules at the rear, you ought to be able to take a new drive and make it fit. The raw drives are by now fairly standard. The problem is finding some place that sells them, and at a reasonable price. Presumably 99.9% of them are sold oem to the manufacturers. That pretty much leaves us with eBay, and for this type of part you'll end up paying as much as the part ought to cost new.
    You could probably find a dead Dell notebook on eBay for not much more than that outfit wants for just the drive.

now that sounds like an idea. never though about getting another Dell comp on ebay. brobably worth a try
    thanks to both of you!

Thread Information